The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Default SCGC 000-12 Fret

Anyone here ever played one? I had the pleasure of spending some time (two days in a row) surrounded by a dozen or so of the finest acoustic guitars I've ever seen in one place. The one guitar I kept going back to, the one that kept making put down the Goodalls, Huss and Daltons, Petros, Taylors, et all, was this sweet little IRW/German Spruce 000-12 fretter from the good people of Santa Cruz Guitar Company

No cutaway, no electronics, just pure acoustic heaven with playability and comfort to match the heaveny tone. As if playing all these instruments wasn't enough to keep a smile on my face for a week, I was treated to the most incredible fingerstyle playing (in every imaginable genre) I've ever had the honor of seeing up close and personal. This older gent and I struck up a conversation and he commented on the tone of the 12-fretter so I handed it over for him to sample. He proceeded to make the most incredible music with the guitar jumping from one genre to the next; a few minutes of blugrass style picking, then into some modern fingerstlye stuff (ala Tommy Emmanuel) then into some classical and ending with some wonderfully sounding tunes (I'm guessing Irish). What a treat it was to hear him play and the nicest, happiest gent you'd ever meet.

Anyway, back to the Santa Cruz....anyone ever played one of these SCGC 12fretters? What about other 12-fretters? The gent at the shop said one very famous player (I think he said Juber) thinks the 12-fretter is the sweetest of all instruments because of the bridge placement on the soundboard. I don't know the physics and geometry of it all but I do know what my ears hear and this SCGC 12-fretter had a sound way bigger than its relatively small size would lead one to expect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion