The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2014, 10:20 AM

Default NGD: Greven 00-12 and, I must really love PB strings

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/3963-greven_00_2111/

Ordered this Greven 00-12 from Dream Guitars on Monday and got it Thursday evening.

I was somewhat disappointed when I first got it (mind you, I could tell it was a great guitar, it just wasn't "doing it" for me). I then changed strings (after confirming with Dream Guitars that this was OK to do during the 72-hr approval period).

The original strings were D'Daddario EXP 80/20's. I changed to my new favorite John Pearse Silk/n/Phosphors. Wow, what a difference in tone (and playability, I believe).

I guess I'd forgotten how much I really seem to dislike 80/20 strings on my guitars. The difference must not be as subtle as I thought.

Anyway, I had planned on sending this one back . . . but now I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping it!

BTW, these guys are a "dream" to deal with. Seriously. The packaging is the FINEST that I have ever seen. And they make it very easy to send the guitar back if you don't like it (within the 72-hr approval period). They will put a hold on your credit card (but not charge it) until you decide you like it. At that point, you can call them and say you want to keep it, and they'll either charge your credit card, or wait for you to send a check or use a wire transfer (to save yourself a few bucks). Basically, a discount for using "cash" instead of a credit card.

You're out the shipping ($89 each way, I believe they said) if you decide not to keep it. That's a whole lot cheaper than flying out there to try one out, that's for sure.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:26 AM

Elixir 80/20s are not very representative of 80/20 strings.

I recommend you try some different 80/20s one day, Uncoated and let them settle for a bit before you make a judgment on them. They can be really great on a lot of guitars. Especially rosewood guitars

Of course, it's possible you don't like 80/20s, but elixirs are very different.

Congrats that looks like a great guitar!
Old 12-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

John builds very light guitars, and consequently light strings bring out the best in them (to my ears). I recommend D'Addario EJ-16 lights.

Congratulations, that looks like a beautiful guitar!

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 12-06-2014, 10:30 AM

The strings I put on there are lights (12's). I'm pretty sure the ones I took off were, too. But not certain.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:33 AM

Talking

That's a beauty. Do you feel the volute gets in the way when you play the first fret?
Old 12-06-2014, 11:31 AM

That's a really good looking guitar. Glad to hear that you're liking it with the new strings.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Looks like a beauty, and Al's demo tune is great!

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 12-06-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Do you feel the volute gets in the way when you play the first fret?
Haven't noticed an issue.

Then again, I only play "cowboy chords" (C, G, D, E, A, Am, Em, F . . without the barrre, etc). The only ones I need/know.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion