The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2006, 09:49 PM

Exclamation !!!!!!!Drying a wet guitar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all! Anybody here has a tip how to dry a wet guitar?
I moved to Sydney from Boston a year ago, and now the humidity is much higher. my guitar is already wet, and I need to bring it to normal condition. Anybody has a trick to 'squeeze' the water out of my Taylor 410RCE? Please help.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynco
Hi all! Anybody here has a tip how to dry a wet guitar?
I moved to Sydney from Boston a year ago, and now the humidity is much higher. my guitar is already wet, and I need to bring it to normal condition. Anybody has a trick to 'squeeze' the water out of my Taylor 410RCE? Please help.

Get a dehimifier....close all the doors and windows of the room..leave your guitar there for 24 hours...that should work...

I face that all the time and dry my guitars that way every two weeks in our 70-90% humidity environment
Old 07-07-2006, 10:58 PM

You could try a dessicant like silica gel. That's what we use for camera equipment, which does not tolerate humidity. Silica gel packets will absorb localized moisture until they become saturated. Then they need to either be replaced, or recharged. Most can be recharged by placing them in a toaster oven on a very low temp (under 100º) for a couple hours or so. There are even silica gel packs that have an indicator strip that will change color (pink) when saturated, and again (blue) when they have been dried out. The ones I use are called mini pax, by Multiform Dessicants Inc of NY 14213.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion