The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2023, 09:02 AM

Firstly, thank you all for reading and responding, I love talking 12 strings.

As I suspected, lots of different ideas and preferences and I do think the best thing about the 12 string is, experimenting and trying alternative options.

I always keep my 12 strings at "concert" (A440) pitch, (except when storing or not playing any particular instrument for a while), and I have never had issues with necks or belly bulge etc., maybe I'm just lucky.

As I said, I have now gone full circle, picked up a few ideas and tips from other 12 string players and builders along the way and ended up back where I started BUT........I am really enjoying the journey!

I would love to hear more of your 12 string stories.

Best Wishes.......Brian.
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Generic Parlor
Banjo- (An ideal Cricket Bat)
Old 11-14-2023, 09:49 AM

Great thread. I’ve always wanted a 12-string and am thinking of finally getting one for my next birthday. It’ll be a milestone (50) and I’d like to get something special to remember it. I’ve always loved the late 90s/early 2000s Taylor 12s. Even a year or two ago they could be had for well under $1000, but they’ve gone way up. My main guitar is a Larrivee but I’ve never played a Larrivee 12. I’m sure they are nice, but to me Taylor and Guild have always been tied for King of the 12-strings.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

As I've posted here on another thread, I've installed a saddle on my 12er that is fashioned so that "tops" of the string courses are equal height (or close to it). This may have a minimal benefit particularly on the D and G strings with a more balanced attack. The jury is still out as to whether I'll stay with this setup.

Question for those who tune down a half or full step. I'm guessing you must use a capo for when the song needs a standard tuning. Have you found which 12 string capo works best? First fret capo can be tricky.
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 11-14-2023, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosette View Post
I do this with the E and A. I just like the way it sounds better.

I've also removed the octave E and A to make it a 10 string. But that sounds a little less full than just swapping the order.
A question for those of you swapping these strings;

The nut slot space is narrower for the usual "octave" strings.
Wouldn't that create problems technically?

Andy-any thoughts?

Thanks

Gabe
Old 11-14-2023, 10:47 AM

I got my first 12 string after many years of playing because I couldn't get this song out of my head, had to learn it. A silly song called "Walk Right In"
It sounds great on the Guild F 2512 E...............12 Strings are tricky, I like the idea of 11.
Old 11-14-2023, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
I got my first 12 string after many years of playing because I couldn't get this song out of my head, had to learn it. A silly song called "Walk Right In"
It sounds great on the Guild F 2512 E...............12 Strings are tricky, I like the idea of 11.
Indeed, a great 12 string riff. As a bonus, they had a lefty and a righty to surround the mic. Love it!

https://youtu.be/Z-qiC1jynmc
Mule resonator
Takamine G335 12
Baby Taylor
Gretsch 5120T
Gibson ES335
Fender '52 AVRI
National ResoPhonic M1
Ibanez Roadstar II bass
Old 11-14-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemanband View Post
....I would love to hear more of your 12 string stories.
Chris Proctor did a Homespun DVD years ago where he specialized in playing certain wound strings while avoiding the octaves. It takes a careful touch but also gives a unique tone: Techniques for Contemporary 12-String Guitar, SKU: DLPROTW21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaFlood View Post
Have you found which 12 string capo works best? First fret capo can be tricky.
The G7 Newport capo with a stepped pad works well for twelve strings, as it gets both wound and octave strings. They also work fine on six strings.
https://www.g7th.com/12-string

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
The nut slot space is narrower for the usual "octave" strings. Wouldn't that create problems technically?
It could, but I have only had to open up a slot once. Most nuts are cut with fairly wide slots, not as accurate as you might think, so swapping is a non-issue.
Old 11-14-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaFlood View Post
Question for those who tune down a half or full step. I'm guessing you must use a capo for when the song needs a standard tuning. Have you found which 12 string capo works best? First fret capo can be tricky.
D'Addario do a new version of their very successful "NS Pro" capo, that has a silicon type material for compression and which they claim to be very similar to fingertips, in that, it reacts to the various string gauges independently.

I have used the NS Pro with all my 12 strings for many years now and find these to be the best option (only my opinion of course).
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Generic Parlor
Banjo- (An ideal Cricket Bat)
Old 11-14-2023, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
A question for those of you swapping these strings;

The nut slot space is narrower for the usual "octave" strings.

Wouldn't that create problems technically?

Andy-any thoughts?

Thanks

Gabe

You (or your luthier if you didn’t want to try it) file the slot or just change the nut. Not that I would do that unless you were committed. The saddle could also need adjustment.
Old 11-14-2023, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
The Seekers from Australia from the same era also featured a twelve string guitar in their music...

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-14-2023 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I currently have 3 acoustic 12's, a Martin D12-20, an Art & Lutherie, and a Rogue. Years ago, I had a really nice Seagull Artist 12 that just didn't fit my hand.

In the electric department, a hockey-stick Squier Jazzmaster, a Cozart Tele copy 12, and a Firefly double-neck.

They don't get that much playing time, but I like having them in the studio.

How do you like that Jazzmaster electric 12? Magazine reviews I've seen have been sorta mixed.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-14-2023, 04:29 PM

I'm another of those with multiple 12-string guitars.

I have a Westerly factory JF30-12 jumbo which is good for the lower tuned stuff. I have an older Seagull 12 in their classic shorter scale, laminated wild cherry/cedar recipe which the Guild for all its majesty hasn't replaced--it has it's own sound and thing.

And I have my original "Cortez" (I believe Cort made) all laminated cheap 12-string that bought in late 70s. That one has a zero fret and that makes it handy for stringing experiments. The last few years I've had it in variations of Steve Tibbetts stringing/tuning with more unison string courses and down tuning lowest two courses. This one has a vintage DeArmond soundhole pickup and I play it mostly electric.

Then I have a DeArmond solid body electric 12-string with DeArmond single coils. This was from a line of "Guild-alike" Korean imports Fender introduced late in the 20th century. The market then had no interest, replying in effect "It's not a Les Paul or a Strat or a shredder axe" to the line. They were blown out at very low prices, and they were very good guitars, particularly this one where the DeArmond single coils get me that Byrds sound when I use a Janglebox compressor.

I'm enjoying reading others who are experimenting with tunings and different stringing on the 12-strings in this thread.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-14-2023, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Smile Down tuning

I play solo and always tune down to D. My Taylor 552 is short scale, and it goes down to D fine if I keep to a lighter touch

My Kottke LKSMs are now down to C with the Kottke medium Elixir 12 strings

So a half step down from the Leo recommended C#

Loving the rumble and I can always capo up

I use a standard Shubb, and snug it right up to the fret. Works great for me.

I don’t miss the jingle jangle at all. YMMV

Have fun

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-14-2023, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The Seekers from Australia from the same era also featured a twelve string guitar in their music...
They "made it" in the States, too. Great group.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 11-14-2023, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
They "made it" in the States, too. Great group.
Yes, that's how I heard about them...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion