The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2016, 03:25 PM

Default Strap question.

I have a new guitar coming sometime in the next two weeks. My wife had purchased a strap with my name inscribed in it a few weeks back. I thought I'd try it on one of my other guitars. It's so stiff I can't get the button holes to open up let alone go around the strap pin. I thought about cutting the slit a little longer but she paid a lot for this and I don't want to ruin it. I looked on line and there are several remedies to soften leather. Anything from Vaseline to some other house hold item, to a professional softener. So I thought I would ask you folks on AGF. I'm sure a few of you ran into this? Thank you kindly.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
I have a new guitar coming sometime in the next two weeks. My wife had purchased a strap with my name inscribed in it a few weeks back. I thought I'd try it on one of my other guitars. It's so stiff I can't get the button holes to open up let alone go around the strap pin. I thought about cutting the slit a little longer but she paid a lot for this and I don't want to ruin it. I looked on line and there are several remedies to soften leather. Anything from Vaseline to some other house hold item, to a professional softener. So I thought I would ask you folks on AGF. I'm sure a few of you ran into this? Thank you kindly.
Ditch...

I opted for installing a strap lock on the top portion of the strap and a Tapastring on the bottom portion of the strap for the endpin jack to solve those problems. [emoji41]

Cheers..

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2016, 06:41 PM

Cover the slotted leather with a protective cloth and hit it several times with a hammer. It should soften up the leather nicely.
1998 Takamine PT-508
1983 Ibanez V320
2011 Martin LX1
Old 12-26-2016, 06:42 PM

Well first, do you have a standard end pin or built in p/u thru the end pin? I have a few Levy straps. They are great but the leather is quite stiff. Mink oil and a little ( actually a whole lot) of pounding with a hammer and a wooden dowel around the strap hole made things easier on some. Others I did have to use a dremel tool to open up the "keyhole" to fit. If it has a p/u that may need some adapter to work.
Old 12-26-2016, 07:53 PM

First I WOULD cut the hole to suit your strap pins. Next stay away from petroleum products on your leather. Use Nestsfoot Oil, Saddle Soap or other "proper" leather conditioning lotion/oil/cream. It's leather (like the cow) and won't be easily damaged.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:25 PM

http://lockitstraps.com/

These look cool and groovy.

I use a basic black nylon woven strap. Nothing heavy, wide or fancy. I got rid of those years ago just to keep it light-weight and cheap to lose. I also use D'Addario's Planet Waves Quick Release gizmos to attach/detach the strap on both ends. Two clicks and I'm playing.
Old 12-26-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
http://lockitstraps.com/

These look cool and groovy.

I use a basic black nylon woven strap. Nothing heavy, wide or fancy. I got rid of those years ago just to keep it light-weight and cheap to lose. I also use D'Addario's Planet Waves Quick Release gizmos to attach/detach the strap on both ends. Two clicks and I'm playing.
This doesn't help the OP - he has a strap given to him as a gift.
OP - do you have a regular end-pin, or do you have an installed pickup with the larger jack-endpin in the butt end of the guitar?

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 12-26-2016, 08:46 PM

you can get a leather chisel for like 5 bucks, and just open up the slit a little more. it won't hurt anything. if the hole itself is not wide enough, there are also leather hole punches. you can fix this yourself. or if you're scared, send it back the the person who made it, and ask them to do it.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 PM

Cut it. You will only need to cut it ever so slightly and you you want that part of the strap as stiff as possible. If it gets to soft, it makes it too easy for the strap to slip off the button and have your guitar on the floor, perhaps getting damaged. If you do soften it up, put strap locks on.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Just work at it. Not everything is easy. 5 years from now you'll a beautifully worn strap. Ps take it in and have her name inscribed on it. That would be cool.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-26-2016, 10:50 PM

Big Jim, I have an installed pickup with larger end pin. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:52 PM

Gas Worker, I like your thinking, thanks!
Old 12-26-2016, 10:55 PM

Thank you kindly to all that took the time to reply. It's a beautiful strap so I want to get it right. I'll take it slow and try out your suggestions. Thank you kindly.
Old 12-26-2016, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Or do what I do with all my straps: I tie a piece of shoelace through the strap end and tie a knot around the end pin. if you're willing to look around, you can find some attractive shoelaces that match the guitar and/or strap quite nicely. A good hangman's noose will get the job done well on the endpin. The strap doesn't have to touch the endpin.
Old 12-27-2016, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Big Jim, I have an installed pickup with larger end pin. Thank you.
Ok. At the neck end, just work it slowly. If you need to cut it, do it. Easy, though. At the jack end, order this:
http://www.tapastring.com/strapkeeper0605.htm
Works GREAT. No need to try to make the hole bigger - the strap keeper does all the work for you.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion