The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhubert View Post
I've never heard of 09 Gauge period!!
Must be extra-extra lights!!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...guitar-strings

I tried them once...sounds VERY thin...replaced them within a few days
Old 01-04-2016, 08:02 AM

Question

Yes my strings are .11 and I tried turning my truss rod left, at first just quarter turns, but then after I realized it doesnt do anything, I turned it more and more, and I got to the point where it cant be turned anymore, but again the same - strings are buzzing the same. What should I do now? (And just to inform you guys I cant go to any professional here at the moment.)
Old 01-04-2016, 10:41 AM

The simplest thing to do, instead of messing with the truss rod and possibly causing a problem, especially if you've never done it before ... change the strings to a heavier gauge. 12's or 13's.

And when it's time to think about the gauge of strings that you prefer, take it to a pro, and have the guitar set-up with that gauge.

Changing the relief with a truss rod is something you do after measuring the amount needed, so what you end up with isn't something arbitrary. Doing it by eye rarely gives the best result.

Considering that you've already worked with the truss rod and it hasn't corrected the issue, I'd leave that alone until someone who is experienced can evaluate the problem. Too many people here think that action, low/high nut slots, possible uneven frets, AND the bow in the neck should immediately and easily be adjusted by an amateur with a tool, and their advice reflects this. Give thanks we're not on a medical forum, and someone wants to know how to cheaply do an appendectomy at home, mostly because they have supposedly suspicious gas pains. and don't feel like locating an actual doctor. That would be a real gut-wrenching experience.

... JT
Old 01-04-2016, 11:06 AM

As you probably know, Ernie Ball Super Slinkies are electric guitar strings and the Super Slinkies in particular are just that- super slinky. I think they are made from a different alloy mix to most other guitar strings, not just electrics. I've tried them on electric guitars and could not get on with them as they felt too "loose". Because of this they don't pull to the tension one would expect for their gauge, hence the lack of response from your truss rod.
So I'm with the others, try some strings made for acoustic guitars, start with 11s if you like but most light acoustic sets start with a 12 and I think you will find that they will pull the neck of your guitar into more relief, in fact you may have to re tighten it a bit.
Good luck.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
As you probably know, Ernie Ball Super Slinkies are electric guitar strings,,,,,,,,,
Actually, that's incorrect.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Actually, that's incorrect.

I have the exact same strings as these in the photo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
buzz, buzzing, problem, strings