The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Default !2 String Recommendations

I'm in the early stages of 12 string acoustic guitar GAS. I've had this before and it took massive doses of guitar acquisition to cure it. I'm hopeful that this time I can ride it out...but if I can't and must resort to getting out the wallet...I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to buy.

I play a bit of finger style, would like to try some alt-tunings, appreciate a LOUD guitar with balance across the strings. As reference, I currently have three James Goodall 6 string acoustics and LOVE them.

Previous 12 strings were Guilds, one was a JF30-12 (nice guitar, but not great).

Budget is in the 2,000-2,500 range and while I'm open to a used guitar...it would be tough for me to buy an acoustic without playing it...been burned before doing that.

Nice to have: built in pickup.

So, what would you have me consider?

Last edited by bobframe; 11-13-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:05 AM

I have been looking seriously at 12 strings recently. In that price range, it's Guild 412 or 512. Great sound , loud, 12 string jangly while still being clear and articulate, not harsh. Very playable, even fingerstyle.

If you like mellower tone, maybe a Larrivee l-09-12 or J-09 -12; or Martin J-16-12, (though I liked it not much )

My choice ended up an Eastman - very high quality, Guild-like sound, low bucks. Since its not my primary git, I didn't want to be investing lots of money, couldn't find one I liked except the Guilds but this one surprised me and was irresistible
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 11-13-2010, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post
I'm in the early stages of 12 string acoustic guitar GAS. I've had this before and it took massive doses of guitar acquisition to cure it. I'm hopeful that this time I can ride it out...but if I can't and must resort to getting out the wallet...I'd appreciate some suggestions on what to buy.

I play a bit of finger style, would like to try some alt-tunings, appreciate a LOUD guitar with balance across the strings. As reference, I currently have three James Goodall 6 string acoustics and LOVE them.

Previous 12 strings were Guilds, one was a JF30-12 (nice guitar, but not great).

Budget is in the 2,000-2,500 range and while I'm open to a used guitar...it would be tough for me to buy an acoustic without playing it...been burned before doing that.

Please consider either of these RainSong 12-string acoustic-electric guitars. I've owned the RainSong JM3000 Jumbo and a Taylor 355ce. Both were nice 12-string guitars but I give the overall edge to the RainSong JM3000 Jumbo with its well-balanced but full-sounding crystalline tone and its great playability. With the RainSong's Fishman Prefix Plus T electronics, and the durability of carbon, this could be the last 12-string guitar you'll ever need to buy. Also, with the consistency of RainSong's quality control, and the stability and carefree nature of carbon fiber, you can rest assured that the guitar you may buy without first trying will sound as good and play as well as any other guitar RainSong makes. Both the following RainSong 12-string models are street-priced well within your budget and these guitars are most likely the loudest and lightest in weight 12-string guitars around!

RainSong JM3000 Jumbo: http://www.rainsong.com/models/jm3000.asp

or

RainSong WS3000 Grand Auditorium-style: http://www.rainsong.com/models/ws3000.asp

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 11-13-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Welcome to the AGF! I hear ya on the whole GAS thing. What woods and body styles are your Goodalls? Looking for a cutaway? Also, where geographically are you? More info like that could help folks come up with good recommendations.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Default What about a Taylor 854ce?

Local guitar shop has a "custom" Taylor 854ce (electric acoustic). I've done buisiness with them before and trust them a lot (bought my Goodalls and other guitars there).

Asking $3050.00.

Advantage is that I could spend an hour playing the gutar before buying, they cpuld set it up as I like and MAYBE they'd take a guitar on trade.

Link: http://www.maplestreetguitars.com/sh...D%20854%20CUST
Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post
Welcome to the AGF! I hear ya on the whole GAS thing. What woods and body styles are your Goodalls? Looking for a cutaway? Also, where geographically are you? More info like that could help folks come up with good recommendations.

Goodalls are 1) MP-14 Parlour, maple body, cedar top, ebony fingerboard 2) KCJ- Concert Jumbo, Koa body, Cedar top, ebony fingerboard and 3) RSC Standard, Rosewood body, Redwood top, ebony fingerboard.

Cutaway would be nice.

Located in northeast Georgia.

Thanks for help.

Bob

Last edited by bobframe; 11-13-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:04 AM

12 strings is my main acoustic, I once had a gorgeous tone vintage Guild 212XL mahogany back before exchanging for a vintage Lowden S7 also mahogany but with a cedar top...and man let me tell you, I loved the jangly sound of the Guild, but the Lowden is something outstanding...in sustain, playability and I can tune it as a baritone guitar in B and its sounds even more creamy...my advice, compare as several guitars as you can to decide wich combination serves you better good luck
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmeiraster View Post
12 strings is my main acoustic, I once had a gorgeous tone vintage Guild 212XL mahogany back before exchanging for a vintage Lowden S7 also mahogany but with a cedar top...and man let me tell you, I loved the jangly sound of the Guild, but the Lowden is something outstanding...in sustain, playability and I can tune it as a baritone guitar in B and its sounds even more creamy...my advice, compare as several guitars as you can to decide wich combination serves you better good luck
This is very sound advice. There is so much variation between acoustic guitars that it really is the only way to know what you are getting into. Last time I bought an acoustic I was in a shop with dozens of high end guitars. I set up in a lesson room and had them start bringing me guitars. I took hours to listen to them and finally made the best guitar buy ever.

Easier to do with 6 string guitars...much harder with 12 strings since there are far fewer guitars for me to try. But be assured I will NOT buy any acoustic guitar sight unseen.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobframe View Post

"L05-12 (my preference, I love mahogany for 12ers, the decay is quicker lending itself to a non-muddy mix when you really dig in) or L09-12 (rosewood) Larrivee. You should be able to come in under budget even with the mods I am going to suggest. #1, get it from a good luthier not a big box even if they have a decent tech as they likely will not want to take on the intonation issues you could have if not done right. I highly recommend Jim Holler (a classical guitar luthier who has done these mods several times that I know of, all extra ordinarily satisfied I may say from the comments on the other board.

Get a hand carved bone nut and saddle with the set up that levels the strings at the "top" of the fret board. It eliminates the pick hole (missed strings) especially on the up stroke and makes finger style as easy as a 6 string. It also gives you control over the octaves which can lead to some interesting runs and combinations that would be difficult if possible at all with the offset octave standard on 12ers. The volume is also increased due to the fact you are not missing strings during play in both directions. This is not a way expensive undertaking if you use someone familiar with this type of set up as a lot of the adjustments are standard with a great set up guy which is why I recommend Jim so highly; http://www.trinityguitars.com/steelstr/frame.htm

The blend is very even and smooth, almost an orchestra in a box

Here is what it ends up looking like (almost a saw tooth effect). And amplified it sounds like 2 guitars playing a duet in harmony, absolutely worth the extra wait time to get your guitar.

I had a T5-12 that had a similar set up and understood the issue with acoustic is each guitar has to be "in hand" to intonate it properly. Mine isn't off more than maybe 1 1/2 cents on any of the strings up the neck and harmonically. That combined with Sunbeam custom gauged strings whose decay holds the note from flatting out during the decay makes it a absolute dream guitar to play.

Talk to Jim and use my name, he'll remember the set up as he has even done some of these for his shop offerings in stock.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

Last edited by Michael T; 11-13-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM

I just went through the excercise of purchasing a 12 String. I am an older intermediate player who owned 2 Guilds back in the 60-70's and loved them. I tried quite a few makes recently and got great advice here, but the bottom line was the Rainsong WS 3000. Its a cutaway, onboard electronics and tuner, and a very loud 12. I absolutely love it and have found the action to be very playable at my level. It took no time at all to get over the fact that it is composite...

As usual, try a bunch if you can?
Ibanez AS73
Rugg & Jackel Mountain Dulcimer
Lanikai LKP-C Koa Concert Ukulele
Stagi A-20 Concertina
Chinese Erhu (...no, I don't know why I own one either...!)

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe"
Lao Tsu

"If not us, who? If not now, when?
Ronald Regan on procrastination in buying yet another guitar...
Old 02-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I'm very happy with my Guild F-512. To me, it has the voice I associate with a 12-string guitar. Its build quality and playability are both excellent.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I'm very happy with my Guild F-512. To me, it has the voice I associate with a 12-string guitar. Its build quality and playability are both excellent.
you really should consider the 512
Old 02-09-2011, 03:16 PM

for factory built you wont beat guilds

ignore those taylor fan boys

rainsongs are also excellent

another tip is that it is always always always worthwhile buying the guitar you want then putting in your pickup of choice... ALWAYS!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion