The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 07:34 AM

Default #1 Reason for Luthier Repairs?

The luthier here gets a ton of repair work and the number one reason. Customers not humidifying their guitars. They also do restoration work on old guitars, but I found it very interesting, particularly here in dry Arizona, that folks would not humidify their guitar. Case in point, when I picked up my Zoom H2 the other day, the salesman, who owns 10 guitars, does not humidify any of his guitars.

I find this so hard to believe, since a simply sponge with a plastic bag is a simple inexpensive way to humidify. And then Oasis and Arion make it even easier...

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 AM

Same thing here in NM...dry x 3! My guitar tech tells me the same thing - cracking due to dryness is a huge problem here if you don't humidify.

TM
Old 01-18-2010, 10:06 AM

Most of the repairs I see are self-inflicted from guitars getting knocked over and such. (worst was one that fell off a wall).

We are in a good climate for guitars here in the pacific northwest so not a ton of humidity related stuff although one of my older guitars came back with mile-high action once. I thought I was going to have to do my first warranty neck reset until I found out the owner had been living on his boat with it. Dried it out and it was fine.

I do get a fair number of factory guitars with bridges lifting where there is no sign of mistreatment.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Default Martin

I have a 71 Martin D-18 that has a warpped neck. How can it be fixed?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi Lisa,

I believe it! Proper humidifcation is a big deal, particularly in Arizona.

- Glenn
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Funny, I was going to answer "IGNORANCE"... which is indicated by not humidifying a guitar in the desert areas, I believe...

I don't think any player PURPOSEFULLY does anything to hurt their guitars - a lot of folks just don't know any better, or don't find out until they're getting it fixed (and the luthier/tech tells them!)...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM

Eastern Washington is pretty dry. I keep Oasis in the sound hole and a clay Herco around the neck area.

Most importantly, I keep all guitars cased when not being played.

I don't freak out though if I miss refilling the Oasis once in awhile.

Guitars do sound good in a dry climate - before they explode

Harmonics101
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM

Here's one prob I don't have in New Orleans. I actually keep my house climte controlled to keep rel humidity somewhat in check. My House runs a stable 45% RH which is still pretty high but it really the changes that cause the probs.

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick p View Post
Yes! Take it to a good repair guy.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Live in SE Utah, dry as hell. Had a former guitar shop owner and another wonderful acoustic player tell me to wet a sponge, wring it out, put it in a plastic baggie, punch a few holes in baggie, and put the bag in the pick box.

Anyone see a problem with this?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdaddie View Post
Live in SE Utah, dry as hell. Had a former guitar shop owner and another wonderful acoustic player tell me to wet a sponge, wring it out, put it in a plastic baggie, punch a few holes in baggie, and put the bag in the pick box.

Anyone see a problem with this?
Nothing, except I would put it actually in the soundhole. Make sure it is not dripping though. You might even want to put one in the case where the headstock rests.

Martin HD-28V
Martin JC-16RGTE Premium
Taylor Koa GS-LTD 12-fret
Breedlove C-10 12-string
Cordoba Solista CE
Seagull M6 Gloss
Old 09-01-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handers View Post
Here's one prob I don't have in New Orleans. I actually keep my house climte controlled to keep rel humidity somewhat in check. My House runs a stable 45% RH which is still pretty high but it really the changes that cause the probs.

hans
45% is fine. I think anywhere from 45-55 percent is a very good range.

Martin HD-28V
Martin JC-16RGTE Premium
Taylor Koa GS-LTD 12-fret
Breedlove C-10 12-string
Cordoba Solista CE
Seagull M6 Gloss
Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

People who are responsible for the well-being of musical instruments in museum collections have said more than once that 35%-55% is fine and that 45% is ideal.

I have actually avoided buying instruments from desert areas for fear that the shift in climate from, say, Arizona to North Carolina would stress the wood. In retrospect, that may have been a bit extreme and I did get a mandolin made in New Mexico that worked out just fine. But I do worry about an instrument being build in one extreme climate and then residing in a place where the prevailing humidity is very different. I'd worry even more if I lived in the desert and the instrument was built in a high-humidity locale.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
The luthier here gets a ton of repair work and the number one reason. Customers not humidifying their guitars. They also do restoration work on old guitars, but I found it very interesting, particularly here in dry Arizona, that folks would not humidify their guitar. Case in point, when I picked up my Zoom H2 the other day, the salesman, who owns 10 guitars, does not humidify any of his guitars.

I find this so hard to believe, since a simply sponge with a plastic bag is a simple inexpensive way to humidify. And then Oasis and Arion make it even easier...
After living in CA for 31 years it came as a shock to me when the bridge on my Seagull SM-6 started to lift (or rather, the top sank away from it) a few months after we moved to central AZ.

I suppose my 14 page checklist for the move should have had an item "Buy humidifier for acoustic guitar", but I didn't think of it. Of course if I'd been an AGF member then, then I would have had no excuse.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 09-01-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick p View Post
Well, I can't give you the precise procedure, since I'm not a guitar repairman, but while it's definitely a major repair it's still within the skill set of anyone with a Martin Authorized Repair Center certification.

If you're the original owner it should be covered under warranty. Even if you bought it used, you should get it fixed. It'll cost you a few hundred dollars if you do have to pay, but how much does it cost to have a Martin guitar that's not really playable right now laying around taking up space?

I say get it fixed and start enjoying that guitar again.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion