The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2000, 11:59 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Ebin, you're right. But as far as value goes... The Taylors with electronics consistently bid for much more money on Ebay, and often the ones without electronics never hit the reserve. Perhaps all this says is that most of the market right now wants a Taylor with electronics and preamp. Or, it says that Taylor has been very successful at building a guitar with a big hole in the side that sounds darn good.

Either way, I think that each individual listener should determine what is best for them, and whether the benefit of having a preamp easily accessable in the side is worth it.

I think I know Bob Taylor's feelings on the matter. None of the 900-series, Presentation Series, Walnut Series, or any of the other "specialty" Taylor guitars come standard with the preamp in the side.

When I bought my K-14C, it arrived with a pickup installed (Fishman Natural), with no preamp. The dealer didn't tell me it was there and didn't charge me for it. I've been very happy with the pickups performance, and really haven't much missed having the preamp controls at my fingertips. This seems like an excellent compromise if you're "sitting on the fence" with regards to the pickups.

J.R.
Old 09-20-2000, 08:55 AM

Yep, usually the younger buyers always want the cutaway & pickup. Personally, it think it's going to be like the folks that built houses back in the 50's when I was growing up. Then, the rage was a den with a hole in the wall for the new TV set that was the rage to fit into. TV's were huge then, with a box the size of a current 50" screen with a little 21" in the middle. They also were about 3' deep, so took up a lot of space. Now most of those folks that I knew have a hole in their wall.... Electronics seem to evolve much faster than guitar technology..well, at least till Bob came along.....

Maybe I'm old fashoned, but I agree that it's a doggone shame to cut a honkin' big hole in a lovely piece of wood...something I think about every time I look at the 710BCE & 810BCE 25th Anniv. in the back room. They DO sound plugged in, though!

------------------
http://www.CustomFret.com
Old 09-20-2000, 11:11 PM

I played a BUNCH of Taylors when I bought mine. I was looking for the best unplugged tone I could find (within a certain price range) I ended up with a 510 and have since added the pocket blender system.This particular guitar sounded magical! The only other one that I considered was a 712 (or was it a 714?) it had the cedar top ,small body and no cutaway or pickup and had a VERY cool sound but the 510 was a little louder and the tone suited me a little better. I didnt seek out a guitar without the hole in the side on purpose but I must say the 2 that were really special sounding didnt have it FWIW. I really hadnt thought about this issue till I saw this thread!
Old 09-25-2000, 11:19 AM

As far as MARS charging more for a non-electonics cutaway, I talked with the factory about a month ago, and the retail is $108 LESS without the electronics.

I guess coming from a classical background I'm a bit of a purist --I prefer an instrument without the plastic in the side.
--Jeff
Old 09-25-2000, 02:57 PM

To be fair to Mars..

They were only charging more for the non-electric one, because they would have to special order it....

Not a great excuyse...but the only one they had.

MIke
Old 09-25-2000, 07:48 PM

>>To be fair to Mars..
They were only charging more for the non-electric one, because they would have to special order it....<<

Fair? Even if they were charging the same as the electric model, they're pocketing over $100 for calling in an order, not to mention what ever extra they are charging above that.

Am I mising something? My local dealer wouldn't special order a Taylor for me. I used to work at a guitar store and it was no big deal to order a guitar. Is it different now?

The dealer I ordered my non electric from gave me the $108 off.

Dave B
Old 09-26-2000, 09:52 AM

I think you are right. To charge for a special order that is not THAT SPECIAL is crap.

Their jsutification is that they may get "stuck" with a guitar that is difficult to sell if I do not take delivery. But it is not like we are talking about a guitar that is maade of soup cans and sea shells. They would have no problem selling the 314c - and may even find that there is a real market for this configuration!

MIke
Old 09-26-2000, 08:54 PM

One thing I don't think has been mentioned is the fact that TAYLOR usually won't do ANYTHING custom on anything below a 500 series. It never hurts to ask, and all it takes is a few minutes on an 800 number, so all it's costing is a little time to find out, but that's been my experience, and if Taylor tells you something they usually ain't gonna budge, no matter how many cartwheels you turn. Not making excuses, esp. for the big box boys, but them's the facts.
Old 09-26-2000, 10:38 PM

Hey Jim --
This probably isn't what you meant by "custom", but I spoke to someone at Taylor last month about getting a 3 or 414 cutaway without electronics, and they said no problem. However, they would NOT put a cedar top on either model. Not enough margin in those models, he said.
--Jeff
Old 09-27-2000, 02:28 AM

>>Their jsutification is that they may get "stuck" with a guitar that is difficult to sell if I do not take delivery. <<

The way a dealer can protect themselves is by getting a 50% non refundable deposit up front. Then there should be no problem placing the order.

Dave B
Old 09-27-2000, 02:31 AM

>>fact that TAYLOR usually won't do ANYTHING custom on anything below a 500 series.<<

Through negotiations on my 414C it is my understanding that eliminating or changing configurations of the electronics was all they would do on a 300 or 400 model.

Dave B
Old 09-27-2000, 10:04 AM

Thanks Dave. I hadn't tried that one yet, so that's good to know!

Right on with the deposit on custom stuff too, unless you want to risk being stuck with something oddball.

------------------
http://www.CustomFret.com
Old 10-17-2000, 07:29 PM

Howdy y'all~

Right now, because of me playing with another's Taylor(s!), the guy is begging me to install a Fishman Natural on mine. However, i do kinda share the sentiments as a "purist"... i LOVE my guitar and i would hate to see it altered. I mean, all the dents on my geetar still irk me a bit! :-p

My thought is that if you have a situation to amplify your guitar, the best bet would be to get the Fishman Natural I or II (i hear that I is for GC/GA models and II are for Dreads). At least in that way, you won't have to worry about that black box sticking at ya, and you can still be plugged.

I too kinda feel that the Onboard Pre-Amp is somewhat distracting to the beauty of every Taylor xxxC model. However, Taylor Guitars is doing that BECAUSE people have asked for it! Let's all remember that maxim: be careful for what you wish for!

Oh well... we can go on and on, hey?

Blessings,
nick
Old 10-19-2000, 08:13 AM

Question

Hi nick,
I have a GC 612 C, still without a PU. Would you recommend the Fishman Natural I in combination with a extern BBE acoustic preamp? What is your opinion?

Arno
Old 10-19-2000, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelhalliday:
OK, SI I am looking to buy either the 314 or the 414, but I have pretty ,much decided that I do NOT want the pre-amp installed. I am thininking about special ordering a cut-away, but no electronics. ( it turns out at Mars this is MORE that the off the shelf one with the pre-amp.)

I may end up going without the cut-away and saving the money.. I have no business being that far up the neck anyway.

How does everyone else feel about Taylor pre-installing this big piece of plastic in so many guitars? It seems that this is their pre-ferred configuaration, but I think the tone suffers, and they would be better served buy shipping them without, and allowing the buyer to have the system they like installed. Do that many people really insist on having electronics pre-installed? would their sales suffer??

Just some random thoughts....
I have a 614ce and a 714ce. thay both sound great acoustically but they really shine
when plugged in. I play live about 2-3 times a week and would be lost without volume and tone controls in front of me. The mic isn't that useful except at low volumes, but works great then.
I find myself constantly tweaking the tone for different songs, depending on effects i mioght use, or how many dynamics the song requires. Alternatively, my 955c 12 string with a fishman matrix is nearly useless live, with no contol over volume, feedback and tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion