The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2002, 09:30 PM

Unhappy #1 GUITAR in HOSPITAL! Soliciting sympathy cards!! Commiserations anyone?

Last month I did a stupid thing (ever happen to anyone else out there?!) - too gory (read stupid!) to relate here . . .

The upshot: a trip to the shop for my FAVOURITE (yes, I'm Canadian!) guitar - yikes! She'll be fine but my scgc OM "puffed" below the bridge enough in a 24-hr period (due to an episode of ambient high
humidity) to slightly loosen (i.e. have come away from the top) a couple of braces and maybe just an
edge of the bridgeplate (and action rose a 32th!!).

The prescription: a month or so at my luthier's "24/7 ideal-conditions" shop (he has also worked on Emilylou and Ricky's guitars - I do trust him!) is required to reestablish/restabilize the guitar before the "operation" - which will almost certainly be successful!! A "hangnail", not a "heart attack"!

Anyone out there who can identify with this short-term catastrophy?? Did the patient survive (and
later thrive?!)?

Also, I'm noticing how much, despite the fact that I have at least 6 other VERY TASTY guitars (3 - 60s
& 70s Martins; 2 other Santa Cruzs; and a decent Taylor - even my daughter's Strat if I get
desperate!), I"M REALLY MISSING THIS GUITAR!!

Perhaps it has a lot to do with the fact that my OM
is my "DESERT ISLAND" guitar. However, I think it also indicates that I'd have real trouble now if
reduced to "DESERT ISLAND" conditions - I just can't remember the many years when I used to be
satisfied with only one nice guitar.

Can anyone relate to being "stranded": 1) without your favourite guitar? &/or 2) with only one guitar?

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2002, 10:18 PM

Yo 310....

I can (sorta) sympathize, but....

With that stable you have, it's like complaining that you're on the desert island with only nine of the Dallas cheerleadres, instead of all of them.

Yoda

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion