The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2007, 12:02 PM

Default #1: Finally (Almost) Underway

Well, after months of slowly accumulating tools and knowledge, I've finally bought my tonewoods and am currently ordering the rest (neck, fretboard, etc)

I've decided to go with an Engelmann top, with Curly Walnut back and sides and will have curly maple bindings. It's going to be a mini jumbo with a 16 1/4" lower bout. See the links below for the pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10210776@N08/830262444/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10210776@N08/830262504/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10210776@N08/830262734/

I do have one minor question for you builders, I'm sure it's no big deal but I just wanted to ask. When the bookmatched set of Walnut that I bought was on the shelf, it was set so that when I match it up at the seam, the one piece bows slightly one direction from end to end and the other piece in the other direction.

Kinda looks like this at the ends --> )(
Instead of --> ||

when I put then on top of each other.

Is there a way to make them nice and flat before I take them to joint them? I tried on the gobar deck for 24 hours but they still have this slight opposing curve to them. Most of the other pieces of wood that I have seen on build threads seems to lay very flat or at least have a slight curve in the same direction. It just seems to me like it will be fighting the jointing process with one piece wanting to arch down slightly while the other has an opposite arch. I figure it's no issue but wanted to be sure.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:11 PM
"Big Daddy"

Hey Antz,

I think the grain of that Wlanut is gorgeous.
This should make a beautiful guitar.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 PM

I'm sure there are some luthiers lurking around here that can answer you question, but there are other forums that might help more. One such is the OLF (Official Luthier's Forum). Even though they might respond with answers quicker we would love to see you document your build!

Thats some great looking wood!

-Rich
Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks guys, I loved the figure on that set of Walnut too. I went into browse as I wasn't 100% ready to start cutting/gluing but when I saw that set (and it was a good price) I couldn't leave empty handed.

I'll be adding pictures as I go although compared to the others who have done so, I may be setting myself up for embarassment.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Hey Antz, I'm at the research and tool buying stage too but I have been also buying wood to stash and acclimate before I actually begin to make sawdust. One thing you might want to consider is to "sticker" your wood so it can continue to acclimate to your building environment. i will include a couple shots of mine so you get the idea. I also suggest you join the OLF as well. Great bunch of folks over there and very helpful to all stages of building.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Antz,
Assuming you bought it from a reputable dealer like LMII or Allied, the wood should be well seasoned. Just make sure you can control the humidity in a specific area and keep the wood and your work in that area as much as possible. In other words, your shop doesn't have to be at 45% humidity because your build won't be out there all the time.

As far as the bowing goes, some sets do that and there really isn't anything to worry about unless it is extreme. But a little "cupping" isn't a problem. I have found walnut to be one of the woods that does that and maple is particularly notorious for that as well. It is because of this phenomenon that I like to join plates with a hand plane. You can lock the piece down on a table. If you are using a jointer, just try and use a straight block of wood to push it against the fence as good as possible. Just take your time and make sure your technique is fine and you should be okay.

Good luck.....................not becoming addicted to building

Peace Out,
Simon
Old 07-16-2007, 03:12 PM

Thanks again for the advice guys. I did buy from a very reputable shop here in Ontario that many top Canadian builders always buy from routinely. I think the Walunt is beautiful and very nicely quartered. The bow is definitely nothing excessive, just a millimeter or two higher at the center seam when placed side by side with no pressure.

As far as being addicted.....too late and I haven't even made a cut.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:28 PM

You have to watch out now, tops and bottoms when glued up will cup quickly when left out in the open on top of something. Just turn them back over and they will cup right back. Always weight them down if you can.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
You have to watch out now, tops and bottoms when glued up will cup quickly when left out in the open on top of something. Just turn them back over and they will cup right back. Always weight them down if you can.
Thanks, I intend to brace my top/back as soon as I take them out of my jointing board in order to stop this from happening. I know that it's normal, I just wish they had been stored on the shelf in such a way that they cupped in the same direction when put together at the bookmatched seam.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 PM

g day antz marchin,i like the look of the walnut also and i think matched with the engleman will produce a nice warm and mellow tone keep us posted on how the build goes.
1995 Gibson J 35 Ltd No 7 of 250
1958 Gibson L48
1955 Gibson ES125
Old 07-17-2007, 06:15 AM

Hi Antz,
Good luck with your build. I look forward to seeing it unfold. I've just recently started my own research leading to my first build. Where did you source your wood? (I'm from Ontario as well).
Regards,
Iain
Old 08-17-2007, 11:14 AM

Here's my progress so far. I put them into a flickr slideshow but the order doesn't really seem to be chronological. I need to to figure out how to get these right into the threads so I can finally have my own build thread.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10210776@N08/show/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10210776@N08/ Individual photos with short titles
Old 08-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Very nice, I really like the look of the walnut!!

You have boldly gone where I would like to some day soon!! Although there are a couple of things that are stopping me....

(1) Money to buy the tools
(2) Fear that my lack of woodworking skils and patience would cause me to mess something along the way or smash it to bits on a bad day!!!

Here's wishing you much success!!!

james

2018 Taylor 412CE
2010 Blueridge BR-163A - Adi/EIR/K&K
Epiphone EF500-M
Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM
happiness

Wow, Antz, that looks great, that wood is really beautiful, and the curly maple binding sounds perfect to go with it. I look forward to watching your guitar take shape.

Fliss
Old 08-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getgo View Post

Zoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot.....*passes out in a pool of drool*

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion