The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2005, 12:20 AM

Default #1 jumbo . . . ?

What do you guys think? If you had to buy something to travel with and strum the daylights out of, what would it be? Anyone here played a Froggy Bottom G series? Any thoughts are appreciated
Old 02-24-2005, 01:33 AM

the definitive jumbo sound is vintage Gibson J 200. That is the bench mark , everything else is second, just like the definitve bluegrass cannon is prewar D 18's . If you can find the right combination in a Taylor 615 you could do worse and when all else fails . I 've heard some Lakewood jumbos rock.

Truth is old Gibson j 200's are the champs all round for strumming on stage
power and chunkyness and the definitive rythum sound all in one box. Hard
to beat. Mighty hard to beat.

later

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 02-24-2005, 08:07 AM

I have heard nothing but praises for the Greven line of Jumbo style guitars. He has 3 different sizes..... his J or Jumbo that is the same size as the Gibson J185, the DX which is the same size as the Gibson J200, and his newest and some say greatest the Prairie State that is same size as Gibson J200 but is thinner in width. Some say that Grevens Jumbos have that desireable Vintage Gibson J200 sound quality that Gibson can not seem to duplicate on it's newer models. The Collings SJ which is Collings take on the Gibson J185 also seems to get quite a bit of positive chatter. The Collings or the Greven (especially the Greven) should provide that great vintage Jumbo tone. For a more modern Jumbo sound, a Taylor or Larrivee J or LJ will do just fine. The Larrivee's are no longer made. So most likely, used would be the option there. As for the Froggy Bottom, I am not at all familiar with it. Of course, you already know how I feel about my Goodall Jumbo.I beleive that Goodall's Jumbos and Ryan's Cathedrals are Heavenly!!!! But I think that you are looking for that classic J200 sound.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 AM

In my opinion the best jumbo out there is by Guild. A F50R or a JF55 are the best. I can really wail hard on mine and the sound never gets muddy. They are very solid guitars.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:19 PM
The Middle Way

SJ-200 is the king of jumbos! Do yourself a favor a play one (especially fingerstyle) when comparing te competition. It is defiently the benchmark (as stated above).

Guitars: Too many, but current favorite: 2006 Santa Cruz D-12

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha

Blog: soundr
Old 02-24-2005, 09:40 PM

oh yeah! the J-200 rocks my boat!
2002 Larrivee LV72KK
2002 Taylor 615ce
2002 Fender Eric Clapton Blackie
2012 Gibson Hummingbird
[email protected]
Old 02-25-2005, 02:17 PM

So basically you're all saying that there's no finding a new, modern-made jumbo that's any good? I've always liked the shape (beautiful) and liked a friend's Alvarez jumbo (maple), but really never could find one that I actually liked playing, even a new Gibson (maple) that was on the wall at SamAsh. Is the good old jumbo gone forever? :-)
Old 02-26-2005, 09:33 AM

I agree that the Alvarez AJ60 is a great jumbo. It blows away the Epiphone ej200. There are just not alot of offerings in the lower end and midrange (price bracket) for the jumbo body.I really can not speak for the Guilds. I have not played the newer Guilds. The older ones are good, but I find them to heavy for my personal taste. But there are some that do sound great. After that, the offering jump up significantly in price. Then you are into your Taylors, Gibsons, Grevens, Goodalls, Ryans, etc.... It does appear that most makers are building dreads , grand auditoriums, and om/000 sized guitars.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:32 PM

I have an Alvarez AJ60sc. However, it doesn't compare with my Larrivee J-05. Here are pics of the J-05:

http://www.larriveeforum.com/forums/...T&f=10&t=5122&

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 02-26-2005, 04:01 PM

Bing's Larry looks like it sings. I have a buddy with a Tacoma JR-55 that REALLY sounds great. It was the first 1 3/4" neck I'd ever played, and it spoiled me...
Old 02-26-2005, 05:04 PM

I had a Larrivee J-05, but I traded it in to have me a custom built Lakewood J-32...

The best Jumbo I ever played.

Listen here:
http://www.alfonsverreijt.nl/dont/you_dont_know.mp3

look here:
www.nieuwehelden.info/lakewood/alfons_J-32.jpg
Old 02-26-2005, 05:22 PM

Larrivee Jumbo's do sound great. How could I forget about them? I prefer the J-09. I love rosewood back/sides with maple bindings. osunds just as good as it looks. However, I do prefer the look of the LJ body to the J. I have heard nothing but great things about Lakewood Jumbos. Same thing for the Tacoma Jumbos. Never played them, but they get favorable reviews. Sadly, as I stated earlier, makers are not producing alot of jumbos. Larrivee has discontinued them and if I remember correctly, so has Tacoma. Used would be the most likely way to go for them. New, you may find a few.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play2PraiseHim
Larrivee has discontinued them and if I remember correctly, so has Tacoma. Used would be the most likely way to go for them. New, you may find a few.
You are correct about Larrivee, although one or two new jumbos that were in the pipeline continue to make their way to dealers. Notable Guitars just got a J-10 in. Guitar Adoptions got some in not too long ago.

Tacoma still has the JM9 and JK28c models listed on their website.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion