The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Tune it to concert pitch first and see if you have the same problem...
Bingo. Try it where it was meant to be tuned, and take it in to your favorite local guitar repair tech so it can be given a setup that accommodates any climatic changes that may have occurred.

When you do, talk to the repair tech and explain that you prefer to tune a half step low, and make sure the guitar gets tested at that tension level.

Then get a Shubb 12 string capo. They seem to work the best.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-12-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
Just purchased a new Martin D-12 28 12 string. I've had 12's in the past, but sold them all. (Sold my Taylor 4 months ago - Taylor 12's have far too much (many) overtones) I like the Martin primarily because it is a dread, but also because I like the Martin bass response.
I've always tuned everything down 1/2 step and put a capo on the first fret. Less tension on the bridge and seemingly a better overall tone.
After receiving the guitar, I let it acclimate to its new surroundings for several days. I tuned it down and put the capo on. The higher of the low 'E' strings clanked. The 'B' strings buzzed. Absolute horror!
Question: Why?
I'm using a 12 string capo - G7th.
Tried 'adjusting' capo back and forth with no luck.
All else on the guitar is perfect. No capo and the tone is awesome.
In fact I can capo on the 3rd or 5th fret with no problem.
Any thoughts??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
The Kyser 12 string capo works well for me... I'd be a little leery of G7's design on a 12 (though I think they look really cool).

I don't capo like you do for the half step down trick and it tuned to concert pitch. I've considered doing that with my 12 but it really isn't necessary for me.
What Kip said....
I also use a Kyser Quickchange for 12-string guitars. It seems like many people here and in other guitar forums don't care for the Kyser Quickchange. But from my experience, it's the only capo that keeps my Taylor 355CE in tune whenever I capo. I might have to re-tune a bit whenever I take the capo off, but that is not such a big deal to me.
Oh, and I only tune to concert pitch.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:47 PM

I would try the guitar without a capo, at that pitch and then move the capo up the fretboard, one fret at a time. If it ONLY happens at the first fret, then the actual first fret may be too high. To check this, a barred F at the first fret should have the same problem.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Default 12

Just returned from my authorized Martin luthier.
The neck needs a reset!!
Two interesting facts:
*The retailer (Sam Ash) did not open the box to look at the guitar prior to shipping. One would think that this is a must, but.......no!
*How could Martin ship a guitar that was not inspected and deemed perfect.
No QC??

Disappointed.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
The neck needs a reset!!
Two interesting facts:
*The retailer (Sam Ash) did not open the box to look at the guitar prior to shipping. One would think that this is a must, but.......no!
No QC??

Disappointed.
That's very disappointing. Are they making it right by refunding you or replacing the guitar? How long ago was it purchased?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
The neck needs a reset!!
Two interesting facts:
No QC??

Disappointed.
First... It is interesting that most retailers consider opening a product taboo but the guitar industry may expect that it would be standard business practice. I think the real answer is somewhere in between. Retailer should ask the customer if they would approve of an pre-delivery inspection of the instrument and if the customer agree's do so.

Next... It is amazing with all the guitars shipped to an fro that more neck resets aren't in order for new instruments. What you experienced was not extraordinary but was not typical either given the volume of instruments shipped and the abuse they take in transit. It is in fact a miracle of packaging that more issues aren't not common.

Finally... All processes including any company's QC can experience failure. QC isn't not in place to assure every product shipped is perfect but rather to reduce the impact of product making it to market that is less than acceptable. Warranty is provided to mitigate the ones that got a away.

Sorry you got the one off. Given the results I've seen attested to by may others the individual attention focused on it will yield a fine result. It doesn't make you feel any better but don't let this affect your enjoyment when you get it back.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion