The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-17-2007, 01:30 PM

Looking good, Antz. Did you build the mold yourself, or buy it? Also, how did you cut the rosette? I'm excited to see yours start coming together. I am a few months behind you.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:46 PM

I bought the mold as I thought it was an important piece and am not at that skill level yet (and was even less skilled 3 months ago when I bought that). I cut the rosette myself from that square piece of Walnut on one of my pics. I accidentially cut the inside circle with the fly cutter bit in the same orientation as when I cut the outside circle. Part of the cutter that is only supposed to contact the wood that you don't want to use contacted the rosette and blew it apart. Ah well, being my only tast of failure this far in, I'm happy. Glad it was a broken rosette instead of a snapped side
Old 08-17-2007, 04:06 PM

Outstanding.... keep us posted as you go. I can only imagine the satisfaction that will come from having that in your hands. Wishes for continued success and patience
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, "Wow, what a ride!!!"

2006 914ce LTD
1983 Ovation Collector's Edition (original owner)
Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 PM

Very kewl, best of luck with this.

'87 Guild GF-60
'01 Guild F-47CE
'02 Guild F-47RCE
Old 08-23-2007, 02:35 PM

Any updates, Antz?
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 PM

If you want to read about beginners "learning curve", you should read my posts. Rosette, Carpathian top, Paduk sides, positive mold, then negative mold,kefling, bracing (got engleman, replacing that as we speak.) did the top bracing 2x anyway, uhm, hmm the neck turned out ok so far though, although the neckblock holes need to be repostioned as I will glue in the neck block after I get the top on, for perfectflat angle to fretboard. MAhogany sides soaked too long in hot water, discolored, top thicknessed too thick. I think thats it for now, and the box is not closed yet!

Almost every step of the way was a mistake of some sort. And Im a woodworker guy also.

Now the trick is to cut this down by 75% on the second and I think that that will be done. First one can be a biatch.

PS: I would not call most of these mistakes, I would call them learning curve, because Im doing what this book says or improvising from the net or whatever, but the mistake is there because there is a knowlege gap of some sort, so its a constant motion of WTF? moments. "Bend sides in side bender" implies more than it seems. etc. My first rosette took 3 or 4 hours, my second was down to 2 and basicly no problem with that.

Last edited by BlackHeart; 08-23-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM

For cutting the rosette out of wood like that, you could put a dab of clue in the middle section on top or the backing wood scrap so it wont 'explode', do the outside first of course! and a dab, a little teensy dab so the outside wont rotate or whatever it will do.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks guys, no updates yet, I haven't been able to get to the woodshop that I deal with but am going tomorrow morning. I couldn't afford a thickness sander so I have it done there for a couple of bucks. I will have the top and back thicknessed tomorrow, braces are already cut, ready for radius sanding and gluing.
After I get my joined plates thicknessed and my Hog stock for neck/tail blocks I should really make some good progress this week.

I don't anticipate too many mistakes as I have been reading various books/online resources for 6-8 months before even making a grain of sawdust and I am going surely making sure to measure 100x ....cut once (except for my rosette) I must admit though, all the little curves touching different surfaces on the neck/tail blocks do have me a little nervous

With the rosette, I had it properly glued in the center / clamped on the outside but I wasn't thinking and managed to leave my cutting bit set to cut an inside curcle when I wanted an outside circle so a piece of the bit that isn't sharp for cutting hit the rosette and shattered it.

I'm away for part of the weekend and have a gig Sunday so I'll be getting down to it on Monday and will have updates and pics by the end of the week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion