The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-25-2024, 03:46 PM

Default Is Cordobra Torres reasonable for Beginner

Am a neophyte but like the Torres. Size wise between full and 7/8.
Understand that Spruce Top not as forgiving as Cedar?
Currently have a Cordobra C10 and it just seems bulky. Had a C9 parlor but the sound was some lite.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:04 PM

I think you shouldn't make too much of the "spruce is less forgiving" bit - you could also say it's more forgiving (about playing with a heavy hand)...

I don't know the guitar itself, but assume you have read up on "the" Torres model and are aware what it represents in the evolution of the classical guitar as we know it.
Torres models can sound really nice but also quite different from the usual "neo-romantic", boomy-ish if not dark-sounding classical guitar sound. It's a sound I usually prefer and I'm certain it would work very well in non-classical music (= using the guitar as a "crossover").

I see absolutely no reason why a Torres model per se would not be suitable for beginners. The price on this one would give me pause though!

And personally I'd want a Torres model with maple B&S; AFAIK that's the wood Torres used most himself.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-25-2024, 05:43 PM

You sure couldn’t go wrong with the Cordoba Torres. While I liked the idea of the Torres inspiration, the slightly shorter scale, and slightly narrower nut and neck, my main desire was for a smaller body. The price of the Torres discouraged me, since I am just an at home hobby player.
I ended up getting a Cordoba Esteso Spruce. It is a small body guitar based on those of Domingo Esteso in the late 19th and early 20th century. It has a more normal neck width and scale length but the small body is very cozy and the sound is sweet, like those it is based upon. They have a cedar top version as well. I surprised myself and went with spruce. I don’t regret it. Mine is an older one, back when they were made in Paracho, Mexico.
Old 03-26-2024, 09:45 AM

I also have a Cordoba Esteso. Mine is a later spruce top made in China.
Excellent guitar, love the compact size and it sounds great. R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical