The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-10-2024, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
I'm guessing what was mentioned earlier in this thread and in your video about 2Mic's feedback resistance is relative to using, say, an external mic 0.5 m from the guitar. The ratio of sound pressure level of the direct guitar sound incident on the mics relative to that from the loudspeakers is greater with internal mics. Or, to put it another way, internal mics are more isolated from external sound sources, such as amps and speakers. Or is there something more to 2Mic than that?
No, I think Ken's claim is that it is more feedback resistant than other internal mics. The idea is that by having 2 mics slightly out of phase (acoustically, just due to placement) that feedback is somewhat reduced due to cancellation between the mics when feedback might occur. True or not? Hard to say, it's really tough to do an apples to apples comparison. This has been a while now, but what I remember is that my impression was that the mic had less feedback issues than I expected, but it was quite subjective - a good test might be if he allowed you to switch off one mic and compare that with activating the 2nd mic, but that wasn't a feature that was available.

The downside of this system is that it's pretty bulky inside the guitar, and not all that easy to manipulate the goosenecks to place the mics, or to ensure they stay put, since they're on long springy arms off the endpin jack.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical