The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-16-2024, 10:55 AM

Default Netflix

Does anyone else feel like these series shows on Netflix are written by 10 year old kids? I haven't found anything that I can watch. My wife sits down after dinner and says "let's see this", within a half hour ;she's sleeping. I turn it off ,go play guitar with the other TV on ;some sport. Right now it's Baseball. In the Fall it's Hockey... Netflix; you can keep it!
Old 05-16-2024, 11:04 AM

Love Stranger Things and Wednesday. Overall, just like any other network, small percentage is good/great, most is meh...

Baseball and hockey, on the other hand...I'll watch any teams, any time, no questions asked.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-16-2024, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I'll catch an occasional movie and my son (28) watches from time to time also. We have other streaming services too that get some time spent on them as well (Paramount, Peacock and Max).

Vals:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 05-16-2024, 11:39 AM

Yes there is a lot of stuff that doesn't interest me, but there is so much on offer that I can always find something to watch.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

This is one of those 'get off my lawn' topics

I find little reason to watch much of anything, other than the sports stuff that I'm interested in, and an occasional series or two. For the most part, I don't look for new things to watch. When I do watch something new, it's almost always something someone else tells me about.

One day, and maybe in the near future, I may actually forego even having a TV and just use my other devices for the occasional content that might interest me.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:35 PM

I HIGHLY recommend Kanopy if it's available. It's through your public library so all you need is a public library card/account. You'd think it would only be high-brow stuff from Kurosawa and Tarkovsky, but there's plenty of popular movies and tv shows on it.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:54 PM

Netflix hasn’t produced anything good for a while. There are some good programmes though - The Queen’s Gambit, the first four series of The Crown, Narcos were all excellent. Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad too, although I’m not sure how much Netflix played a part in their production (maybe more involved in the former?).

Old 05-16-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I HIGHLY recommend Kanopy if it's available. It's through your public library so all you need is a public library card/account. You'd think it would only be high-brow stuff from Kurosawa and Tarkovsky, but there's plenty of popular movies and tv shows on it.
That's a great suggestion.

There's also Hoopla, pretty much the same thing, free movies etc. to stream with a library card.

Public libraries are an amazing resource.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

I pruned streaming services—dropped prime when commercials came, dropped Netflix when I was asked to pay double if I wanted it at our summer place. I figured I’d resubscribe if something I wanted came on. For a while, we would have Hulu for a bit, then Apple plus.

I found I don’t miss them. The channel that gets the most action at our house is PBS. Passport is a great deal. We also have Hoopla through our library. Kanopy is great, but my uni dropped it.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 05-17-2024, 06:18 PM

Finding things to watch together is a constant struggle here. My wife absolutely loves sappy, cheesy movies and horror flicks. I prefer documentaries. Not much middle ground there. Good thing we have Cardinal baseball. Sort of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic