The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 PM

Thanks for all these advice.....I think I am going to buy a 314ce KOA LT7 by the end of next month. Since Jim would give full refund if you would buy another guitar from him, I will take the risk. Hope I'll get into the right church.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdunn View Post
My K-20 sounds like a Martin D-35 and a Taylor 810 got married and had a child. It has the deep smooth bass of the Martin and the shimmer of the highs from the Taylor. It is also very warm sounding. It is KOA front, back and sides.

I got the same review about my K20CE from a friend who plays aD-28. He had his guitar out at Mark Babin's for a few weeks getting some work done, so I loaned him my K20CE. His opinion of it was almost identical to yours. He basically said it was like no Taylor he'd played(read: NOT bright).

Koa is eye candy, but I have heard the same thing about it being hit or miss tonally. That being said, I think that any guitar can improve with the addition of bone or FWI saddle, nut and pins, and I also think that there are certain guitars that sound better by switching string brands/guage, etc. It's just a matter of finding the right combination of the above that suits the particular guitar. And of course letting it open up for 15 years....

Jeff
Old 02-14-2007, 03:56 PM

My 2 cents worth... always play a Koa guitar before buying it.

As many others have said, I have seen amazing looking Koa that sound rather dull... and dull looking Koa that sounded rather amazing.

Every now and then you find one with both qualites.... In which case you say, "Sold -- I'll take it"

All the best on your search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion