The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-22-2006, 07:35 PM

Default Guitar Center and Elixers

I stopped in the Towson, MD Guitar Center to pick up some strings, Elixer PBs.

Anyway, the sales guy there told me that very soon they will not be carrying them anymore.

Anyone heard about this? He did say that for acoustic strings, they sell more ELixers than anything else.

Not really a big deal for me since I usually buy my strings online. I needed a set on short notice so that was why I had to go there.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 PM

yup same here I went to GC last week to get some elixir PB's. The guy told me they werent going to carry them anymore?! I was a bit confused seeing that elixirs are one of the most popular strings out there. Well I asked why and he explained to me that elixir and GC got into a dispute regarding the price. I believe elixir bumped up there bulk price for GC and by means of protest GC will simply not carry them. Well thats what i've told...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Hi Paul...
My source for Elixir Strings is:
Maverick Music - click

I get a dozen sets of PB Nanos for $11.71 per set shipped. Sometimes they have 3 set deals, but normally they are $14.25 set on 3 packs. Regular Elixir Poly are $10.87 set shipped.

They also sell D'Addario EXP for $8.05 set shipped on 10 sets.

I have not found any better deals, and these folks have been prompt and accurate. When I found a couple of things to order, I e-mailed them and they combined the shipping and saved me even more. It is a bit more cash up front, but in the long run I save about $48 on every dozen I don't buy locally (they charge $18 set plus tax around here).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-22-2006 at 08:30 PM. Reason: ooops
Old 03-22-2006, 09:14 PM

thanks for the tip.

as I said, i usually do get them online, this time was an exception because i need a set and do not have any extra sets of strings (other than what is on my guitar)

i was just curious as to why they would dump a big name like that.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 PM
just peeking....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedimasterPaul
thanks for the tip.

i was just curious as to why they would dump a big name like that.
These big boxes (GC, Sam Ash) have egos as big as their, er boxes! I was surprised when Sam Ash cut their ties with Gibson.

"The Only Good Is Knowledge And The Only Evil Is Ignorance" -Socrates

2004 Taylor 514ce
Seagull S6+CW Folk

Old 03-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...i was just curious as to why they would dump a big name like that.
Hi Paul...
I used to wonder about things like that, but as I got older, the wondering just took up too much of my time and riled me up.

I'm happier knowing two or three emergency sources in our city, and playing more. One set of Elixirs at local prices cured me (now I order when I'm down to three sets in the drawer).

I just play non-coated more than coated, so the thought of stringing up a guitar without Elixirs is not a scary thing to me.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-23-2006, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

I use Elixirs. I like them, all three compositions. I buy them locally and split the purchases between two local music stores, even though there are two Guitar Centers in town (Portland, OR). It's not much, but I hope it helps keep the local stores around a bit longer.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar

I just play non-coated more than coated, so the thought of stringing up a guitar without Elixirs is not a scary thing to me.
LJ -

I've actually been playing more with the non-coated strings lately as well. Mostly the Newtones and more recently John Pearse.

However, I recently gave the Elixer PBs a shot and like them.

Now, this weekend I have to take my guitar into the shop for a setup and new nut and saddle. I would like to have a set of strings in the case for the tech to put on when he is done.

Problem is, I didn't have any sets of strings. No Elixers, no Newtones, no anything. The only strings I had were already on the guitar.

So, I needed a set quickly.

What strings are you using these days? (hey, I'm hijacking my own thread )
Old 03-23-2006, 09:35 AM

I hate Guitar Center (also shop at Towson). But I still find myself buying accessories there because of convienance. They are like the Toys R Us of Music equipment. Big place but always out of stuff and no one seems to know much and you have to wait forever for any service or to even ask a question.
Hint-- Don't go there on the weekends. Monday is the best day to go there
if you need help and have questions.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I stopped in the Towson, MD Guitar Center to pick up some strings, Elixer PBs.

Anyway, the sales guy there told me that very soon they will not be carrying them anymore.

Anyone heard about this? He did say that for acoustic strings, they sell more ELixers than anything else.

Not really a big deal for me since I usually buy my strings online. I needed a set on short notice so that was why I had to go there.
Yep, Yep

I was just in a GC yesterday in Nashua, NH and was told that "I guess they don't like us anymore". They're selling down their current inventory and then not restocking.

Oh well!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 PM

If I lived in America, I'd probably think all strings were cheap. $10.87 for a poly? I've seen more than that in pounds, not unusual to see elixrs go for £13 in shops. But then who buys thier strings from shops.
Anyhoo, quit your whining.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:42 PM

I get mine here: www.banjostore.com

It's a local shop that does more web business than local business I think. Some of the best prices I have seen.

-wayne
Old 03-24-2006, 07:27 AM

Guitar Center, being like the Wal Mart of guitar stores, more than likely puts a lot of pressure on its suppliers. Elixir (Parent company Gore of Gore-Tex fame) probably just declined the pressure. With the popularity of their product, and internet marketing, I doubt it will be that big of deal for them.

Because Musicians Friend is owned by Guitar Center I do wonder if they will follow suit? Hmmmm............

Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 AM

I don't think anyone has ever accused Guitar Denter of actually caring what their customers want, or being very honest.
Seagull - Cedar
Avalon U5 / Earthworks
Old 03-24-2006, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmulletrocker
Guitar Denter

I Love that!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion