The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I bought my Furch from Brickhouse Guitars in CA. If there were any fees I paid it was included in the price. I'll have to look at the invoice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Like Barry I bought a Boucher from Roger at Brickhouse and I didn't pay any additional fee.
Same here bought a Furch (made in Czech Republic) I talked with Roger about it he said there would be no US Customs Duty . Also he suggests an usually uses Canadian Parcel Post which then goes USPS, (unless requested otherwise) because UPS and Fed Ex both charge an extra fees ( in my case going Can and US parcel post, maybe added about 3-5 days)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-28-2022, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I got bit hard on the extra cost to get it across the border. And I didn't get a say on it at all.

I purchased a used American made guitar from a person in Canada. Many weeks after I received the guitar, I got a sizable bill from FedEx. Hundreds of dollars. They said they paid to get the guitar across the border and that I owed them for it. There wasn't any way to converse with FedEx and they are relentless.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-28-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
The OP doesn't say where the guitar was made. Doesn't it make a difference if it was made in the US???
The guitar is a Cort Earth 200 12-String. After a Google search I believe this guitar was made in South Korea.

This model isn't produced anymore so I haven't seen on here in the states to purchase.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:00 AM
Anticipation Junkie

My understanding is that because of USMCA, if the guitar was made in the US, Canada or Mexico, there will be no customs fees (duty). If the guitar was built in any other country where the US does not have a free trade agreement, then customs fees will apply which may be in the neighborhood of 6%. If your state has a sales tax, then likely you’ll have to pay that, but it may depend on whether you’re buying from a business or an individual. Even if buying from an individual, likely it’s incumbent on you as the buyer to remit state taxes.
Old 01-06-2024, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsepicker View Post
It depends on the dealer and the wood. If you need a CITES permit it can delay it. If you can get the same guitar in the US, it's much easier. If it's a special instrument it's easier to let the shop selling you the instrument take care of it. I had a very good experience with 12th fret in Toronto.
The information on the 12th fret is good to know - I am in the US wanting to purchase guitar that is not available in the US. the 12th string in Toronto sells them - Were the duty/vat fees etc....horribly expensive? Also I would imagine that shipping is pretty expensive?
Old 01-06-2024, 07:55 PM

UPS, FedEx both charge a fee to clear customs paperwork. I seem to recall they charge a percentage of what the cost of the guitar was. Looked it up.

How much does FedEx charge to clear customs?
UPS / FedEx shipments Customs Clearance
Shipment Value$ Our Flat Clearance Fee$ Courier's average brokerage fee + extra added fees
350-500 $35.00 $66.50
500-750 $35.00 $73.50
750-1000 $35.00 $80.50
1000-1250 $40.00 $91.50
Old 01-06-2024, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
UPS, FedEx both charge a fee to clear customs paperwork. I seem to recall they charge a percentage of what the cost of the guitar was.
For cross border shipping, the post office is the way to go. Canada Post charges a flat fee, ~$10 to bring something across, no matter what the value of the shipped item is. Brokerage fees are a racket, a "service" which has no value. The couriers indulge in "package ransom". If I am buying from an out of country seller, I specify that country's postal service only.

It works the other way around too--USPS does not charge "brokerage".
Old 01-07-2024, 09:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
I have found a guitar on reverb that I may want to purchase. The guitar is in Canada and I live in Upstate New York. Will I have to pay any import fees or taxes? Cuz if I do then I'm not going to get it okay so
I think the import/customs fee is 8% of the price; it can go to 40% for purchases from places like China. So, be careful on all this.

E

elmcmeen.com
elmcmeen.bandcamp.com
Old 01-07-2024, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
Since the border has reopened I frequently cross into Canada visiting friends. Canadians are generally very honest and respectful. I would not hesitate buying a guitar from our northern neighbors.

Have you found a guitar on Reverb that you may want to purchase, or that you do want to purchase. There is a difference.

If the former, I suggest find something similar in the States. The latter...yes, you might pay import fees....but if you like the guitar don't be afraid !

Oh, it's not an absolute, but if someone posts, and it sounds like they didn't get out of high school, not many would probably take them seriously....Cuz well you know it's like street lingo so
On behalf of all Canadians I want to say thanks I’ve sold guitars and shipped to the US but the buyer has handled the import costs and since your dollar is worth considerably more than the Canadian dollar I think the advantage still makes it worthwhile.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 01-07-2024, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzy View Post
Since the border has reopened I frequently cross into Canada visiting friends. Canadians are generally very honest and respectful. I would not hesitate buying a guitar from our northern neighbors.

Have you found a guitar on Reverb that you may want to purchase, or that you do want to purchase. There is a difference.

If the former, I suggest find something similar in the States. The latter...yes, you might pay import fees....but if you like the guitar don't be afraid !

Oh, it's not an absolute, but if someone posts, and it sounds like they didn't get out of high school, not many would probably take them seriously....Cuz well you know it's like street lingo so
Has nothing to do with honesty. You have to pay an import fee, usually not mentioned by the buyers, they just expect you to know this. Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion