The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2002, 10:37 PM

Quote:
and an old Ephiphone 12-string now relagated to campfires
I once had an Epiphone like that...I got 5 campfires started with it before I ran out of wood.

Larrivee OM40 Rosewood
Larrivee OM40 Mahogany
2011 Taylor 314ce

Yamaha BB Bass, Fender Strats, PRS Zach Myers, Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
Old 03-26-2002, 12:15 AM

now i'm all sad ... seeing all the taylors that yall own and the fact that i only own one. And it's not even really considerd a real taylor. All I have is a 2002 Big Baby... It's one of the nicest sounding Big Babys (almost as good as some of the 300 serios i've played) but it's still not a real taylor... Maybe I might get a real taylor someday soon.. Oce i get a job and some money
Old 03-26-2002, 01:42 AM
guitar, amp fixer upper.

Brandon

Take heart..All of us here at the TGF all started out with one Taylor. It takes a bit of time for TAS to ravage your senses. So don't be so hard on yourself and give it time. TAS is not a destination it's a journey to be enjoyed, savored, experienced one guitar at a time. So enjoy your "real" Taylor and don't worry, be happy. One thing you'll notice here at the TGF is we don't envy others TAS. We celebrate each aquisition with each other,
encouraging each other to aquire more !! hehehe

Ron
Old 03-26-2002, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon
...All I have is a 2002 Big Baby... It's one of the nicest sounding Big Babys (almost as good as some of the 300 serios i've played) but it's still not a real taylor...
Brandon, that big baby is every bit as real as each of my Taylors. You have to start somewhere! Enjoy that guitar!

Allan
Old 03-27-2002, 05:09 PM

Update:

Add one more Taylor to my household. I bought a Baby in mahogany this afternoon for my daughter. While I was there, I played a Big Baby. Nice guitar you have there Brandon
Old 03-28-2002, 12:58 PM

yet another update:

The XX-RS that I mentioned earlier....it's here. Another good E-Bay experience for me. The guitar is in mint condition (I am sure it has been played, but I can't find any indication of it). The case looks new too and is complete with the original warranty card and certificate of authenticity. It was even shipped in the original Taylor shipping carton. Someone posted pics of this guitar somewhere in the posts above. It is beautiful, plays effortlessly, and sounds great. I think I have a new favorite. I think I have all the Taylors I need now. I have my eye on an 000-28 12 fret now. Anyone have any new ideas for sneaking even more guitars past the wife?
Old 03-28-2002, 01:04 PM

thanks for all the support guys. I'm really lovin the Big Baby...
Old 03-28-2002, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sm0kediver
... is complete with the original warranty card and certificate of authenticity....
Just a word of caution: your guitar may have the original warranty card, even unfilled, but don't deceive yourself in thinking you have the full Taylor warranty on that guitar... you need an original receipt from a taylor dealer to get the Taylor Warranty.

(unless this is one of those guitars where you can transfer ownership... but I don't think so)

Glad you're happy with the guitar's condition though! it's always comforting to know that honest people sell on ebay =)

Allan
Old 03-28-2002, 02:12 PM

Thanks for the tip alchu.. I ran into that once with a D-18. The XX-RS though, came with a warranty transfer card, as well, so hopefully I will be able to get the warranty. I'll have to call Taylor and find out =o)

As for e-bay, I have bought just a few instruments there (I have sold a lot there though), and so far I have had nothing but good luck. I review the seller's rating history before I bid, and apparently that's a pretty good system. I also try to communicate a lot with the seller before I bid to get a feel for how they are. If they point out the flaws and answer all of my questions and seem friendly, I feel pretty good about the whole thing. I bet a lot of instruments on e-bay are dogs (that's why they are on e-bay) but there is some good stuff too. I have sold some great guitars there (some I wish I had back!). When cash flow becomes a problem, there are very few items that are more liquid than guitars. Providing that you shopped carefully when you bought, you can usually break even if you sell quick, and make money of you are willing to wait for a buyer. Try this with a car!

I mentioned in another post that I had purchased a Baby for my daughter. I have had time to play it some now, and I am quite impressed. It doesn't have the volume of my big guitars, but is really hard to beat for playing in the living room. It is a perfect little lead guitar, and responds favorably to finger picking too. It's not too much as a rhythm instrument, but that just forces me to be creative in the way I play rhythm. I am seriously considering buying two more of them so my wife and I can each have one for travel guitars. I used to think the idea of a travel guitar was stupid since most small guitars I have come across have intonation problems and generally sound like crap (why would I want to play junk?) but the Taylor is a real instrument and plays like one. They are on sale at my local music store complete with gig bag for under 200 bucks. I think they are a great value.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:29 PM

I knew there was a few that had that warranty transfer. if this is one of those guitars then I stand corrected =)

I still haven't been happy with any of the baby's I've tried at the stores here in NYC...

they're always old guitars though with old strings etc. I'll have to wait till I find one that sings.

Allan
Old 03-28-2002, 04:00 PM

The Baby Taylors here in N. Ga. probably don't sound any better than the ones in NYC. I just kind of had to change my mindset to play it and enjoy it. If you use a very soft attack, and avoid "strumming" it has a sweet little sound. My main concern was good intonation and easy action for my 8 year old daughter. It fit that bill, so I got it. It was only after I played it here at home for a little while that it grew on me. Seems like the more I play it the more I like it. I bet you have access to a LOT of great guitars in NYC. Mandolin Brothers comes to mind even though they quit stocking Taylors. I am going up there one of these days just so I can compare about 100 really nice guitars in one day (wow have I ever screwed this thread up... it's supposed to be about collections).
Old 03-28-2002, 07:47 PM

asturius...I wonder if that was your post about the Asturius nylon string I read on Harmony central somw time ago. The guitars I saw are in the local Yamaha shop. They make a variety of models some laminated some not, some with electronics some without. I played a nice all mahogany model but the only drawback was the thick all poly finish. Not sure if there is an official web site, but you could contact Ishibashi and ask if they have any. They ship world wide.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion