The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Default Traveling with a guitalele

I'm wondering if my idea is completely crazy. I recently bought a Yamaha guitalele as an alternative to a travel guitar (cheap travel guitars didn't sound good, and I didn't want to spend more than I did on my $200 Yamaha FG700). I wanted something to travel with that would be easier to manage, plus not matter as much if it got damaged. It came with a simple carry bag. I thought of buying a sturdier gig bag and carrying it on, BUT I'm concerned about the hassle of carrying it around (having to substitute it for a carry on) random passengers trying to jam their suitcase into the compartment with it, etc. Would it be completely crazy to pack it in my large checked bag? I would put it in the middle, well padded with my clothing and such. I think it's too long to fit in a carry on or under my seat. I will be away for two weeks and have to pack a lot of extra items (sheets, etc) due to where I am going so I think I may need a checked suitcase and a carry on.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:27 AM

I'm guessing that your suitcase isn't hard-sided--if it is, yes I'd pack it in there.

Perhaps you could borrow a hard-sided suitcase?

Folking around on guitar since January 2015
Old 03-27-2016, 10:32 AM

I've done exactly what you propose with a regular tenor ukulele. Put it in the center, well padded with clothing all around. I even used a music instruction book on each side as extra protective "armor" in case of penetrating impacts. Never had any issues, and the uke was fun to have with me at the end of the line (Hawaii).
Old 03-28-2016, 07:32 PM

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions! While I don't have a hard suitcase, the one I will be using is pretty large so I can put a fair amount of padding in between the instrument and the outer edges.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:57 PM

I also have the Yamaha Guitalele, and have flown with it. I just pack a few clothes into the guitar case and take it as a carry on. I have never had a problem with anyone jamming anything on it, but I keep a close watch just in case they try. Its actually not a bad little guitar. Plays pretty nicely, has decent intonation up the whole neck, and I have found I can play songs and work on solos fairly well on it for something that fits in the overhead.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion