The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2004, 11:31 PM

Default What's up with Prices??

Hey have I missed something or have the moderators? I have read two posts today that are at least a day old and have Taylor prices in them. Has there been a change of policy or what?

ken

655 somewhere tween Taylor and My office
Yamaha SBG500
Old 01-26-2004, 11:47 PM

I think the mods have increased their work load recently. No change in price discussions that I know of.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:14 AM

I don't think there should even be any price discussion restrictions. Personally, I don't understand them. I guess there could be some policy with Taylor. Free the forum. But it's not that big of a deal.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon
I don't think there should even be any price discussion restrictions. Personally, I don't understand them. I guess there could be some policy with Taylor. Free the forum. But it's not that big of a deal.
To a degree I agree but this is to protect the distributors. Let's say I post a thread saying you can get a Taylor for $1k less at this store instead of that store, before you know it, it would hurt the distributors across the country. Many times when you purchase a Taylor (at least in my case) I have been able to talk the price down to where I think it was fair. After doing it 5 times for each of my Taylors I know this to be true yet, that is between me and the distributor. If someone were to call him on the phone he would not quote him the price he is selling it to me for but the sticker price. What I am haggling down is the distributor's profit margin. If they are willing to come down I sit and talk. If not I walk. Very much like buying a car but for me to advertise that I got it lower than sticker, and post it here, then many distributors would be hurt by the post. I effectively killed their profit margin.

This forum is not keeping you from talking price...just do it privately and everything will be fine.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:19 AM

I've seen posts that have been edited.

Perhaps you saw them before the Mods did.

I'm new to the forum but I guess it is in respect to Talylor's no internet pricing philososphy.

Seems kind of false as I don't know anyone who had paid the list. Everyone talks the dealer down.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninjato

Let's say I post a thread saying you can get a Taylor for $1k less at this store instead of that store, before you know it, it would hurt the distributors across the country.
Very true, but all a person would have to do is post something like this... "Hey, I got a great deal at this dealer.. Anyone interested, E-mail me".

Either way, people are going to find out!

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫
Old 01-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Please report any price quote you see. Sometimes we miss a few due to the high post counts that happen daily.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:46 AM

I am sure the main reason for discouraging price discussion is to protect
Taylor and the distributors. However, I think the rule also helps us. When I first started looking at this forum it was largely to see what people are paying for their guitars. If this rule were not in place, I am sure this forum would be bogged down with people only joining the forum to talk about price rather then to share interest with fellow taylor guitar players.
-josh
Old 01-27-2004, 09:17 AM

It really is an immature policy. One of the benefits of a free market is the ability to search for the best price. It's a competitive world, and the only people we are hurting with this ridiculous policy is ourselves.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender Bassman 100
Old 01-27-2004, 09:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Sorry you don't like the policy but it's one of those little things which are necessary to provide this forum to you. It's also something you agreed to when you joined.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-27-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Malenko
It really is an immature policy. One of the benefits of a free market is the ability to search for the best price. It's a competitive world, and the only people we are hurting with this ridiculous policy is ourselves.
Man, how did you shop 15 years ago? You picked up a phone and started dialing. These days, many dealers have toll free numbers. What's more, you don't even need a phone book. Taylor's website provides a list of dealers.

This was bounced around about a year ago and, as a result an entire new forum cropped up on the internet, simply due to the restrictions on price discussions here. I just looked, and there doesn't appear to have been a single post there in almost a week. That forum is just dying on the vine.

Bottom line is that nobody has a gun to anyone's head to be here. If you dislike the rules, then you never should've agreed to abide by them when you joined.

Other internet forums permit price discussions. This one does not. Take your pick...

Steve
Old 01-27-2004, 09:59 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Malenko
It really is an immature policy.
I guess you are right. Perhaps you should call Uncle Bob and explain it to him. Maybe that is why he only sold 73,000 guitars last year.
Quote:
One of the benefits of a free market is the ability to search for the best price.
As Steve said above, you can still search for price. I think to most mature guitar buyers, price is not as important as finding the right guitar. I can call around and get the best price, but I'd much rather play several and buy the one that sounds the best to me, even if I have to pay more for it.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:01 AM

The rules are fine by me. I intend to abide by it. I've discussed prices many time on other sites before buying my latest Taylor. We can discuss prices. Just not on this site. The abililty to exchange information will be better and better. Only the uninformed will pay high prices.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:23 AM

I'm a world-renowned sucker -- let me be happy with the guitar I got for the price I paid, and don't let me know that I could've gotten the same thing for less!

Ignorance is bliss, and playing a Taylor is MORE bliss, and playing a Taylor and being ignorant too is. . . well, you get the point. Don't change a thing!
2005 Airedale "Wrigley"

2007 Son "Nolan"

"There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept." -- Ansel Adams
Old 01-27-2004, 10:58 AM

Unhappy

The reasoning for both arguments are sound as would be expected in a reasonable society. In quoting a price I was simply trying to get some quick feedback, make a good, though fastball purchase... 'Mea Culpa'...enthusiasm of the moment. I apologize. I did however purchase my first Taylor (422 Maple) in part to the good information gleaned from forum members and most importantly the sound. Sorry for the trouble, it won't happen again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion