The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2015, 06:55 AM

Default A little problem

Hey guys! Can you guys help me? I just noticed that annoying high pitch/note sound noise when I hit the open A string. I already changed the strings but its still there. Someone just told me that the problem is in the wood of my guitar. What do you think it is? How can I fix it? Thanks in advance!

Ps: I'm using little martin LX1e guitar
Old 03-15-2015, 08:33 AM

Is it the short stretch of string between the nut and tuning peg? Pluck it and listen…is it the same annoying note? If that's it, try what others have done…put a cloth or something underneath to muffle it.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:20 PM

Hey its not it. Also tried to put something underneath it but nothing has changed. Its still there.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:26 PM

I'll take a guess its a fret buzz caused by the nut slot being just a bit low.

Press down on the "wrong" side of the second fret and push the string down at the first fret. You should see the string move down. If not... problem found.

-r
Old 03-16-2015, 05:14 AM

Hey! I dont know if you can hear it through here but here's a vid of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhU7TJ-zuNk
Old 03-16-2015, 05:48 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterrr02 View Post
Hey guys! Can you guys help me? I just noticed that annoying high pitch/note sound noise when I hit the open A string. I already changed the strings but its still there. Someone just told me that the problem is in the wood of my guitar. What do you think it is? How can I fix it? Thanks in advance!

Ps: I'm using little martin LX1e guitar
Dexter,
I listened a few times.

Aside from muting all the strings in back of the nut, did you also mute the other 5 open strings when plucking the A string?

HE
Old 03-16-2015, 06:12 AM

Yes. But I noticed this, I tried to change the tuning of the A string and then the annoying sound disappeared. I think the 'annoying sound' exists only if the 5th string is in the A tuning.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

So as you changed the from A440 to A439 or A441, the noise went away?

It may be that the string was not perfectly placed in the nut slot, not riding off the very front edge of the slot. This would give a slight harmonic, or buzz, so maybe your moving the string through the slot set the string better?

HE
Old 03-16-2015, 06:22 AM

Were you plugged in when you did the youtube? Have you changed string gauges or brands recently?

Snark Tuner
Old 03-16-2015, 06:33 AM

Can you place something under the string at the nut? Like a layer or two of dental floss. Just loosen the string, lift it up, the lay a layer or two. Then carefully trim the excess away. This will loft the string just a hair above the frets and tell you if you need to do soothing at the nut. You can fill one slot and refile it. Tricky and you'll need a set of files. but doable. Also maybe remove the string, drop a light and mirror inside and try to push a piece of paper under any brace you can reach. While your there, make sure there are no loose wires against something that can buzz just at the right time.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
Can you place something under the string at the nut? Like a layer or two of dental floss. Just loosen the string, lift it up, the lay a layer or two. Then carefully trim the excess away. This will loft the string just a hair above the frets and tell you if you need to do soothing at the nut. You can fill one slot and refile it. Tricky and you'll need a set of files. but doable. Also maybe remove the string, drop a light and mirror inside and try to push a piece of paper under any brace you can reach. While your there, make sure there are no loose wires against something that can buzz just at the right time.
already did that. But its still there btw thanks
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Were you plugged in when you did the youtube? Have you changed string gauges or brands recently?
Not plugged in. Last time the annoying sound disappeared when I changed my strings to martin strings eric clapton's choice. Then last week I replaced it with elixir guitar strings then the sound appeared again. So I bought a new set of strings yesterday(the classic martin strings) thinking that the annoying sound will disappear but its still there. Btw i always get the same gauge for my guitar
Old 03-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Try a different type/mfg of string - maybe something coated or go back to the type of string that the guitar likes - the Claptons.

Guitars are a lot like women, you have to give them what they want or they can make the same annoying sound until you do.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montesdad View Post
Try a different type/mfg of string - maybe something coated or go back to the type of string that the guitar likes - the Claptons.

Guitars are a lot like women, you have to give them what they want or they can make the same annoying sound until you do.
Gonna try that. Hahahaha! Yes they are! Thanks sir!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterrr02 View Post
Hey! I dont know if you can hear it through here but here's a vid of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhU7TJ-zuNk
Hi,
You can try to use it musically - for the Amaj-chord with open a-string you only need c# and e - the g# is already there :-))

No - serious - is this only with the open a string or also when you fret the a on e string 5th fret ?

Greetings,
moccaguitar

http://www.youtube.com/user/moccaguitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion