The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Default Scored an Epi Frontier!

I found this two weeks ago on CL here in San Francisco. 1996 MIK Epiphone Frontier Reissue. The thing hadn't been played in years. It was in pretty gross shape with rusty strings, goo on the fretboard, light scratches that need to be buffed, bow in the neck and the action was a little high. The guy was asking a Benjamin Franklin, so I haggled and got enough off to buy twenty 99 cent cheeseburgers. Brought it home and went to town on it. Adjusted the neck, sanded the saddle, cleaned and oiled the fretboard which was dry as heck, vacuumed out stuff from inside the body and buffed the finish. New strings and voila! This is one great sounding guitar. Big, bold and very clear tone to it. Not sure if this is a good one, but it holds it's own with any other of my acoustics in it's own way. The maple back and sides are beautifully figured and the solid spruce top has very nice tight grain. The pictures don't do it justice. It is a vintage sunburst which doesn't photograph well, these pics are too red clownburst looking. It is really more tobacco. I'm really quite chuffed and now looking for an Excellente.....

Old 11-23-2012, 12:54 PM

Nice score, davidd.

I think sunbursts pretty much always come out a little reddish when you take a picture of them. I get the same results whenever I take a shot of my Yamaha tobacco burst.....always looks redder than it is in real life.

Congrats on the great find!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 PM

Very nice! Those Epis can be great guitars.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 PM

That is one ugly pickguard!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:44 AM

Congrats! Just to confirm, you paid $20 for it? FYI, here in Canada, those .99 cheeseburgers are $1.39 (double cheeseburgers at McDonald's) so your guitar is only worth 14 cheeseburgers here.

Clean it up, set it up, and enjoy!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats! Just to confirm, you paid $20 for it? FYI, here in Canada, those .99 cheeseburgers are $1.39 (double cheeseburgers at McDonald's) so your guitar is only worth 14 cheeseburgers here.

Clean it up, set it up, and enjoy!
No I saved 20-99 cent cheeseburgers off a Ben Franklin. I actually think the pickguard is cool, of course I am a little off kilter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion