The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2010, 10:42 PM

Default Almost heard Joan Baez . . . sooo frustrating!

My lady and I strolled over to Golden Gate Park today for the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival, the annual cluster of free concerts. We staked out some turf about 200 yards from the Banjo stage and enjoyed a couple good string bands before Joan Baez came on at 2 pm. By that time, the crowd had thickened considerably, and we were surrounded by clusters of people standing or sitting in circles, passing around the booze and weed, and amusing one another greatly. I could see that the great folksinger had taken the stage, and the occasional high note would come wafting our way, but despite a great sound system we just could not hear her because the noise level around us was so high. These folks had come to party and were not shutting up. They were much more interested in themselves than in her. We picked up and left after about ten minutes. I felt very sad -- such a waste. Oh well, it was a free concert and I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:04 PM

That's too bad. She would have been great.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:06 PM

Too bad they didn't have a seating arrangement where disinterested people who wanted to talk through the concert had to sit way in the back. It's very true though that free concerts can turn into a mob scene and part of the reason I just don't keep track of them much anymore.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 AM

bloody ridiculous, as always! it's like being at the movies or worse yet, the theatre and, after being warned to turn off the mobiles, people insist on checking e-mails, texting, etc. ruins it for the rest of us, but hey it is the ME generation, which apparently is now MOST people! free concert or not, indoors or out, always seems to be the same. believe it or not, an open mic i go to in london's west end (touristy, theatre district) are resolutely strict about people being absolutely quiet whenever someone's performing - everyone appreciates it, the performers and audience alike!
FOR SALE: 2008 Montuoro 12-Fret Slope Shoulder Dreadnought - Brazilian Rosewood/Adirondack Spruce
FOR SALE: 2005 Custom Simpson GA-C - Ziricote/Redwood
Old 10-03-2010, 06:29 AM

There was no way to get closer to the stage?
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Yup. Seems to be the way things go these days. Personally, I've stopped going just about anywhere where I know the crowds are going to be big. It seems to me like people have just totally forgotten how to act in public and don't even seem to have any self respect anymore. I see it just about everywhere I go. It's really sad. Even the crowds at large golf tournaments act about the same as spectators at a hockey game these days.

When it comes to music venues, it doesn't seem to matter if it's a free concert or one that costs $100 per head. I get almost 100% of my music "fix" by going to local jam sessions, TV, DVD and coffee bars these days. It seems to be the only way I can actually enjoy the music. At least that's how I see it here in the states. I haven't been to Europe in almost 20 years, but I'd imagine it's not much different there these days.

About ten years ago, before I retired, I worked closely with a younger man, about 30, who came in one Monday morning after attending a large concert at our downtown Veteran's Memorial Auditorium. He was bemoaning the fact that he "wasn't even allowed to smoke during the concert". He actually thought he should be able to smoke, sitting right there in his seat in the auditorium while the concert was going on. I couldn't believe it. I just looked at him like the idiot that he is.

I love Joan Baez. Always have. Not her politics, but her music. Sorry you didn't get to really enjoy it.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
There was no way to get closer to the stage?
If you arrive early at the Banjo stage - 8:00 am or so - you can stake out a piece of turf center stage fairly close, perhaps even get to hear a sound check or two by the artists. But by noon you are surrounded check-to-check by fellow enthusiasts. Essentially you become land-locked, so to speak.

The only way to get out is to carefully identify a series of tiny spaces between the bodies to step through, over, and around, and hopefully not on. However, if a person happens to shift their position while you're in mid step, there is a good chance you will either land on them or, in an attempt to correct your trajectory, loose your balance all together, and - with arms whirling around cartoon style - completely fall over.

Trying to get closer to the stage can be as challenging and daunting as trying to get to the moon.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Man, Rick,

That would have been very frustrating for me! Some people have no business being around music.

- Glenn
Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks, Misty, for answering FatStrat's question. Your photo and description say it better than I could have.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:14 PM

I DID just see her in Solvang. It was a great concert with adjusting to her present range and with new arrangements. She wasn't one of those embarassing nostalgia acts.
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 10-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Its pretty much the same way here -if something is free , every idiot in the world thinks it means free babysitting-( even when it says a parent or guardian must be present ) or they grab their kids and the neighbors kids.I always say -charge at least a dollar for something -you get a better deal for entertainment . Ive about stopped attending concerts that are so-called free -you pay to much for them !.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Unhappy

I went to a Beatles concert here back in the 60's. I was interested in the music but you couldnt hear it for all the girls screaming! Still it was quite an experience.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 10-03-2010, 07:04 PM

Joan's voice seems to have mellowed a bit over the years. I had not listened to her in years and then I got hold of some of the stuff she had done with Dar Williams. Just amazing. I like her more now than I did back in the 1960s.

I agree crowds can be frustrating but I also have trouble faulting folks for having fun just because it is not my particular idea of a good time. Gotta admit though my patience does seem to wear thinner the older I get.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:46 PM

About 40 years ago, I woke up in a house to the music of Mimi Farina (nee Baez) and Bob Gibson (i believe). There were no other people in the house.

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:38 PM

I started to curse the people of San Francisco, but realized something..

Peter Frampton's live album was taped there. Do You Feel Like We Do....one of, if not the best ever live performances recorded.

When you think about that song, the audience shares at least half of the credit for its success. The crowd reaction, you can visualize every time you hear the song on the radio.

Maybe this was the same audience, just 38 years later??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion