The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2010, 01:56 PM

Life is short and you can't take money with you when you go, so do what makes you happy.

That said, I don't know how "new" you are to playing guitar (whether that means one week or one year) but an absolute beginner who buys a $3000+ guitar to begin their journey might want to get used to.....how do I say this......some reactions along the lines of SRVis#1's.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerdawg View Post
Life is short and you can't take money with you when you go, so do what makes you happy.

That said, I don't know how "new" you are to playing guitar (whether that means one week or one year) but an absolute beginner who buys a $3000+ guitar to begin their journey might want to get used to.....how do I say this......some reactions along the lines of SRVis#1's.
Well, if it turns out he hates playing guitar and doesn't stick with it, then yes, jumping right into an 816ce does look kinda silly. But, on the other hand, if he loves it and continues playing and learning, then he saved himself a lot of time and money by getting the best he could afford right from the word 'Go'. Risky, but well worth it if he's committed.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up Wow

The 816ce would be a dream guitar to own if I ever get the opportunity. You are a lucky man!

Huge congrats!
- Manuel Rodriguez Caballero 11 Classical

Other axes:
- Carvin SB5000 Fretless 5.str
- Carvin BB75 Fretless 5.str
- Carvin AC40 - KOA Fretless 4.str
- Fender Squier 20 Ann. Stratocaster (future project guitar)
Old 03-25-2010, 02:58 PM

I own a 2009 816ce and absolutely love it! I have played many guitars in my 45 plus years of playing and must say this one is truly at the top of my list!
2009 Taylor 816ce
2013 Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
Bose L1 Model 2/Tone Match/2 B1's
Fender Pro Tube Twin Amp (Modified)
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 PM

I have owned several Taylors since 2001 and my 05 814CE was my favorite. I would adfter a year or so go to the store and play it against newer Taylors on the wall. Even the GS models. Nothing on the wall would sway me from that 814CE I had. Even the GS models at that time seemed maybe a bit louder but just did not have the warmth and bass my 814Ce did!!! Well in december of 07 I bought a Composite acoustics GX performer and had to sell the Taylor to buy it. so FF two years now and I am having some finger pain( tips) issues and such with the GX and ( plus a few other peeves that I was putting up with) I was in the market to go back to Taylor. Well the dealer I frequent just got in a new 2010 816CE. well that saturday I went up there to try it out. WOW!!!! much nicer than the 06 GS models I played. Apparently the CV bracing really improves it as the GSRS models never had what this has!

So I put it on layaway for a week and then go up and trade and now own a new 816CE. IMO this is the most amazing Taylor I have owned. HAs everything I like for tone and has it in spades!!!! I took ti to an acoustic jam that gathers every tues night playing older folk- country and bluegrass and has a variety of brands of guitars there I had several comments on how nice it sounded.

withthe action and set up like it is I have no real finger pain or issues exept a little muscle soreness from playing it so much the past few days.
another person on this forum is getting a 814CE anyday now and said the difference between the CV and forward shifted bracing is fairly dramatic.

I know my new 816CE is sweet!!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:58 PM

I'm sorry but I don't want to get an argument started here but this continuing to mention the accusatory "troll" post to this original post is just plain silly continued. We all have to start somewhere don't we. Heck I have only been on here a couple of weeks now and my first post didn't get flamed with troll accusations. These folks mentioning troll also started with their first post somewhere and I hope you weren't accused of trolling and I hope legitimate newcomers are not accosted in the same manner either. From what I have seen so far there are some great folks on here that understand and tolerate us green-horns. I apologize if I have offended anyone. Hopefully this will be the last mention of trolling on this thread.

JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerdawg View Post

Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBOSS View Post
I'm sorry but I don't want to get an argument started here but this continuing to mention the accusatory "troll" post to this original post is just plain silly continued. We all have to start somewhere don't we. Heck I have only been on here a couple of weeks now and my first post didn't get flamed with troll accusations. These folks mentioning troll also started with their first post somewhere and I hope you weren't accused of trolling and I hope legitimate newcomers are not accosted in the same manner either. From what I have seen so far there are some great folks on here that understand and tolerate us green-horns. I apologize if I have offended anyone. Hopefully this will be the last mention of trolling on this thread.

JP
I wasn't flaming anyone, nor did I accuse anyone of being a troll.

Apology accepted.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:51 PM

Nice to start with a great guitar, IMO most Taylors guitar are great guitar aren't they?
I started off with a FG730s and might get a Taylor somewhere somehow.. GAS symptoms..

Go for the 816 if you have the means, surely.

JP, what's a "troll"? Sorry i'm new too.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:38 PM

I am taking that you are serious with your question concerning definition so here's a link to an overly detailed definition of "troll" (internet.) Hehe, you made me break my own rule but oh well. :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ng View Post
Nice to start with a great guitar, IMO most Taylors guitar are great guitar aren't they?
I started off with a FG730s and might get a Taylor somewhere somehow.. GAS symptoms..

Go for the 816 if you have the means, surely.

JP, what's a "troll"? Sorry i'm new too.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the comments and links everyone. I'll probably pick this guitar up in the summer after the high school gets out. My younger cousin really likes going to guitar center and we don't have one in our area so I'll let her come along when I go (reason for the wait).

I went to the local place and they had one but won't match any deals the other place will put together for me so I'll just wait it out. At the local shop though this guitar just sang to me out of the bunch of them they had. I always would put it back and grab a martin or other brand and kept going back to looking at this one. I played both the 716 and 816 when I was there and they're very close in sound but maybe it's just preference on their appearance?

The worker there said the 716 was their best guitar there but I almost like the look of the 816 better.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:03 PM

The 816 has a newer and some say better bracing pattern than the 716. That being said the 716 is a wonderful instrument.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:28 PM

did I ever say I LOVE my new 816CE!!!! Oh ya I posted a thread on it

I tell ya I am so enamored with this guitar it`s crazy. tone it so sweet and rich and just love it .. a rosewood super guitar!!
Old 03-26-2010, 07:42 PM

Funny you say this. The 716 was my first choice. For some reason the dark rosewood binding and the smooth sound and warm color of the cedar top made for a beautiful and unique looking guitar. However the 816's new bracing was what did it for me and the fact that others were telling me that cedar may limit heavy strumming (I don't think it would that much) but knowing that I plan on keeping this axe for the rest of my life I realized that the Sitka top would sweeten up some over the years. I just can't wait for my 816 to get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolleiguy54 View Post
The 816 has a newer and some say better bracing pattern than the 716. That being said the 716 is a wonderful instrument.
2010 Martin LXK2 + Self installed Gotoh 510 1:21 chrome tuners with small buttons (SGV510Z-S5-L3+R3-C)
1973 Yamaha FG-200 + Bob Colosi WAHI Saddle + Gotoh 510 1:21 antique gold tuners

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion