The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2010, 11:26 PM

Default 816ce

Anyone own this guitar? This would be my first acoustic. Played one in the store today and it was pretty fun. Asking the current owners how you're liking them as I didn't get much time to play it and I'm very new at playing guitars. I don't know much to play it well lol.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:28 PM

Are you serious. Troll much?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM

No? I'm probably going to buy one in the next 2 months. I'll post a picture for you if you'd like. I can bookmark this page.

More confused really. Everyone had me convinced martin was better. The sales person really liked the taylor models. I like the way they look instead of the martins to be honest.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 AM

You got the cash, go for it! Nothing like starting out on a great guitar.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Congratulations on your decision for an 816. I am new here as well and hopefully my 2010 816ce with Gotoh tuners should be here next week some time as it's hopefully shipping today or tomorrow from Taylor. Here's a couple of threads below.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=179864

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=179458
Old 03-25-2010, 09:05 AM

No need to post pictures to prove you are not a troll. That comment that user made to you was uncalled for IMHO. Like you I visted a very good Guitar store here in town and listened to both Martin and Taylor and the Martins did sound good but the Taylor sounded equally as good and the look of the Taylor just sings quality, especially when you get into the upper ranges. The 8xx series has just enough bling without too much. Remember, you can order some custom options on the base models to make the guitar your own special version. Once I can learn to play better I am going to consider in the next few years to order a Taylor with a Florentine cutaway with Cocobola back and sides with Bloodwood bindings. I didn't care for th Florentine cutaway at first but when I watch the video of Chet playing Vincent on his Olson it just grew on me. Goto Taylor's site, download the 2010 Guitar Guid and read it. You could go the BTO(Build to Order) path or if you only want just a couple of items upgraded you may save some money going with a "Modify a Model" program like I did just choosing to upgrade the stock 816 tuners to the (what I think are superior) Gotoh 510's. Good luck and when you decide, let us all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell1125R View Post
No? I'm probably going to buy one in the next 2 months. I'll post a picture for you if you'd like. I can bookmark this page.

More confused really. Everyone had me convinced martin was better. The sales person really liked the taylor models. I like the way they look instead of the martins to be honest.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:54 AM

Go for it!

I have a 816ce since last December and it’s every bit an excellent guitar with its signature bold and full sound from a Grand Symphony body. Taylor’s and Martin’s have different sound characteristics and there is no sure winner there. However, from look department, Taylor trumps Martin unless you like Martin’s classic and no-frill look. Martin realized it and recently introduced a Performing Artist Series, which I think it’s Taylor-copy (cosmetics not sound).

One caveat, you need to use medium gauge on 816 to unlock its potential. My fingers really hurt though.
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Martin OOO-28VS
Old 03-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRVis#1 View Post
Are you serious. Troll much?
Awesome comment
Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Wanted to hear the difference between the forward shifted bracing and the new CV bracing. Also is it worth a bone saddle upgrade?
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r
Old 03-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Yeah..the "troll" comment was uncalled for, IMO. This is a guitar forum, so you post a question regarding a specific make and model only to get pounced on? Especially, given the fact that you indicate that you are new to playing and this would be your first acoustic.

Back on point. The 816 is probably one of the best first acoustics you could hope for. While I don't own any GS or x16 guitars, they are definitely more "lush" and full-sounding than some of the smaller body guitars. It would be a great guitar for either fingerstyle or strumming.

You might want to compare it side by side with a few other styles just to see what fits in with your playing style. That said, I've always liked the x16 series and the 816ce is probably one of the most versatile (Sitka/Redwood) of the line. You might also want to check out a 814ce - slight difference in the body shape which would affect the voice a bit. Good luck in your decision!
Taylor 914ce
Martin D28e Modern Deluxe
Fender American Stratocaster
Fender Custom Shop '55 Stratocaster (Sunburst Relic)
Fender Custom Shop '51 Nocaster (Blonde Relic)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by werkout52 View Post
Wanted to hear the difference between the forward shifted bracing and the new CV bracing. Also is it worth a bone saddle upgrade?
Don't know about the different bracing methods.

I spoke to a Taylor-authorized repair tech who is also a qualified luthier. He does not recommend a change of tusq to bone unless you are well trained to hear the very subtle difference. Even so, the tonal difference may not necessarily be in favor of bone.

I ordered a 814ce with cedar top from a trusted dealer who also is a luthier who usually prefers bone to tusq. When he received the guitar from factory, his comment was like ".. your guitar already sounds so good, I don't think a bone saddle will worth the change." Now, it's enroute to me

Go figure
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Martin OOO-28VS
Old 03-25-2010, 11:01 AM

The saddles are so easy to change out I went ahead and ordered a bone nut from Taylor ware just to test and see if it changes the sound of my 816 when I get it but like you said the Tusq in the store sounded fantastic anyway. In the future I may get multiple types from Bob Colossi (www.guitarsaddles.com).
Old 03-25-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederico View Post
One caveat, you need to use medium gauge on 816 to unlock its potential. My fingers really hurt though.
I thought the 816 came with medium gauge elixir strings? At least that's what I was told.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 AM

816ce ?....that is a sweet guitar....the best value on the entire taylor standard line in my opinion...can't go wrong with that one!!!!...great guit and holds its value well.

have fun!!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buell1125R View Post
I thought the 816 came with medium gauge elixir strings? At least that's what I was told.
Yes, you're right. When I bought mine, the store replaced the strings with light gauge. It was night and day after I changed to D'Addario EXP17, which sounds better than Elixir, my personal opinon
Martin D-18GE Sunburst
Martin OOO-28VS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion