The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2009, 03:26 PM

Default Time to try new strings !!!!!

Go through this a couple of times a year. Using Pyramid strings currently both light and med. Want to explore the Martin line. Have both a D28M and a D18GE. Wondering if there is any website that compares and contrasts strings as well as your suggestions !!!!!! Play folk/rock mostly strumming.

Bob J
Old 11-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Here you go

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/soundroom.html

Oops edit. My recommendation would be Martin SP marquis. I just put em on my HD28 and MOJO!!

Ive had the D'addario EJ16's and Martin 80/20 bronze on and the Marquis wins hands down.

Oh and the B&E strings are gold!!
Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM

The SP's are great. I've been using the SP+ lately and they are excellent as well.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:17 AM

Can someone share their thought process for picking out strings for trial. Is it a playability issue, treble,bass ??????

Bob J
Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 AM

I got tired of relying on my memory for different strings and did about 10 top rated sets from this and another 2 forums recorded with the same 2 songs (1 strummed and fast hard boogie with lots of cross pick and solo movement and 1 slow fingerstyle sweet/haunting) both when the set was fresh (about 4 hours played in) and once again after about 20/24 hours play time. Then I narrowed it down to two and bought 2 more sets just to make sure and repeated it paying attention to feel and bendability etc. My final 2 were #1 tone wise Martin SP and #2 was DR Sunbeams. Feel wise was 1st DR Sunbeam and they seemed much more consistent from opening to change to the Martin line so I choose them as my strings.

They are a little tough to find at stores so the Martin Sp & SP+ are my back up if I forget to order and have to perform but Mike at Strings and beyond can get my orders to me fast/cheap and in great shape in a matter of like 2 to 3 days so I hardly ever go with anything but my Sunnys. I did come across the Curt Managan line too after the test and put them through the same paces, I think I like their consistancy and tone life as much as the Sunbeam but the feel like fence wire in comparison, much like the tension on the Martins. Of course the DR Sunbeam is round wound with a compression wrap which is to their advantage in keeping squeek down and the bendability. 13's feel like a much lighter gauge to me.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

Last edited by Michael T; 11-15-2009 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Oh for the good ole days when Black Diamonds were the only strings available and you only changed them when they broke
Old 11-15-2009, 08:57 AM

Realistically, you can save yourself a lot of money, and still get the desired tone and string-life, by going with discount mail order strings. If I want name brands, like D'Addarios or GHS, I buy at juststrings.com. But you can also save a TON of money, buying from webstrings.com. Their San Diego Acoustics are worth double the cost.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
I got tired of relying on my memory for different strings and did about 10 top rated sets from this and another 2 forums recorded with the same 2 songs (1 strummed and fast hard boogie with lots of cross pick and solo movement and 1 slow fingerstyle sweet/haunting) both when the set was fresh (about 4 hours played in) and once again after about 20/24 hours play time. Then I narrowed it down to two and bought 2 more sets just to make sure and repeated it paying attention to feel and bendability etc. My final 2 were #1 tone wise Martin SP and #2 was DR Sunbeams. Feel wise was 1st DR Sunbeam and they seemed much more consistent from opening to change to the Martin line so I choose them as my strings.

They are a little tough to find at stores so the Martin Sp & SP+ are my back up if I forget to order and have to perform but Mike at Strings and beyond can get my orders to me fast/cheap and in great shape in a matter of like 2 to 3 days so I hardly ever go with anything but my Sunnys. I did come across the Curt Managan line too after the test and put them through the same paces, I think I like their consistancy and tone life as much as the Sunbeam but the feel like fence wire in comparison, much like the tension on the Martins. Of course the DR Sunbeam is round wound with a compression wrap which is to their advantage in keeping squeek down and the bendability. 13's feel like a much lighter gauge to me.
Michael,

Great post and great information!

Thanks, Glenn
Old 11-15-2009, 12:36 PM

I use Martin SP Phosphor Bronze on my HD-28 and they are the cats meow. Have to buy them on line as no one sells them locally.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
Oh for the good ole days when Black Diamonds were the only strings available and you only changed them when they broke
Hahaha ... I'd forgotten about those old stand-bys .... as I remember it, they usually began to seriously rust about three hours after your hands first touched them! LOL
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Hack View Post
I use Martin SP Phosphor Bronze on my HD-28 and they are the cats meow. Have to buy them on line as no one sells them locally.
I like them on my acoustic, too, but they make my T5 sound like a Dobro! LOL
Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek431 View Post
My recommendation would be Martin SP marquis. I just put em on my HD28 and MOJO!!
MOJO is correct. I put a set of these strings on my D-16M and they are absolutely the best strings I've ever had on that guitar. It's never sounded this good. And when I say good, I mean superb. Glad I ordered three sets. Thanks for the recommendation Dek431!

Strings and Beyond -
Old 11-20-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
MOJO is correct. I put a set of these strings on my D-16M and they are absolutely the best strings I've ever had on that guitar. It's never sounded this good. And when I say good, I mean superb. Glad I ordered three sets. Thanks for the recommendation Dek431!

Strings and Beyond -
No probs. I tried them just to see and when I put them on WOW even with the new string brightness I dislike they're amazing. Glad I helped .
Old 11-20-2009, 12:38 AM

Are Martin Marquis round or hex core?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:53 AM

DR Sunbeams and Wyres lately.
These DR's were fresh revelation after quite a lot of years on exchanging numerous makes, gauges, coated, non-coated and whatnot.

I got the Wyres few months ago - very very nice as well. Somebody pointed me at these and I got few packs of coated ones. Feel and sound great.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion