The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Default inexpensive parlor recommendations

although i find them a bit awkward to play, while my shoulder is getting better i decided to play a parlor and let it rest. tried a larrivee parlor last week and there was no stress on the arm, so i'm looking for a cheap parlor with a fairly wide nut. haven't had a chance to get out there and look at the lower cost ones, although during the week i'll probably run to mccabes to check out the art and lutherie ami's they usually have there. i was interested in the seagull grand but in the pics the lower bout seems bigger than the average parlor.

any recommendations appreciated - i'd say under $500 would be my budget, 1 3/4 would be around the nut size i'm looking for.

thanks1
Old 10-18-2009, 04:37 PM

I'm no expert, but to me the body depth matters more than the bout width for comfort. Have you tried a thin (4" or so) 000?

You can find used Larrivee parlors for $500 or so. I think there's a rosewood P-01 in the For Sale section for around that price.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Here's one to look at. In your price range shipped too.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=166462

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 10-18-2009, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

i found the bout size mattered for me - the larrivee i tried was deeper than most parlors, but was still such a relief to play. i have a narrow body grand concert, but because i'm only 5'3"- and my arms are pretty short - i have to reach to get over it. it was never a problem till i overextended my right shoulder.

i was hoping to come in under that, but it's worth a thought. i must admit that larrivee sounded sweet. if i can't find one with a wider nut for less, i'll have to try used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I'm no expert, but to me the body depth matters more than the bout width for comfort. Have you tried a thin (4" or so) 000?

You can find used Larrivee parlors for $500 or so. I think there's a rosewood P-01 in the For Sale section for around that price.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

well, sort of. i wanted to come in under $500.

what's the nut width on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Rick View Post
Here's one to look at. In your price range shipped too.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=166462
Old 10-18-2009, 05:22 PM

I believe it's 1 3/4 but may be 1 7/8. Not sure but its chunky with lots of finger room.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 10-18-2009, 05:32 PM

I great find I had this year was the Washburn 25th Anniversary 314K parlor. It has a solid spruce top and laminated koa back and sides. It's designed like the early parlors and looks terrific. It also comes with a distinctive 'coffin' case. But the most important thing is its power and tone quality. It has a real piano-like chime to it. Definitely worth a look as it's relatively cheap at under 5 centuries from Musicians Friend.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

I highly recommend one of the Godin parlors for quality at a small price. I had an Art & Lutherie Ami which sounded nice, a Simon & Patrick parlor with laminated mahogany sides and solid spruce top which sounded even better (and got several appreciative comments from professional guitarist friends). I liked the sound of both of them better than the two Larrivee parlors i owned. They both had 1 11/16" necks at the nut. If you want a bit wider neck, the Seagull parlor might fit the bill. I don't have any experience with them; however, they're made in the same factory.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 PM

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=165516

'80 Takamine EF349
'09 Martin OMC 1E
'12 Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM

If you are really looking for a great Parlor, here it is.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...19#post1992819
Old 10-18-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
1 3/4 would be around the nut size i'm looking for.
I have the A & L Folk Almond. It has a 1.72 in. nut. Not quite 1 3/4 and it is the same spec as their Ami parlor so that is something to consider before you buy.

It's considerably narrower compared to an 1 3/4 and narrower than I would like. It's noticeable big time however I seem to be able to adapt.

I'm not sure why A&L would put this nut width on their parlors. Aren't parlors used mostly for fingerstyle?
Old 10-18-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i was interested in the seagull grand but in the pics the lower bout seems bigger than the average parlor.
I think the Seagull Grand would be a great choice if the 1.72" nut is wide enough for you, about $400 new - with a 13" lower bout it feels plenty small to me, and I think is well within typical "Parlor" range.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/specs.htm
Old 10-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

thanks, all. i just ordered a b-stock seagull coastline grand for a pretty good price. i thought a 14 fret parlor would be a great thing - and low and behold, that's what this guitar is

Last edited by patticake; 10-18-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM

I was going to suggest looking for an older Larrivee Parlor without the body binding but it looks like you found one. Make sure you let us know how you like the Seagull.

Ted
Old 10-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

i have mixed feelings about it because of the neck width (1.72") but i do like seagulls and hopefully it'll work out. otherwise expect to see it on the classifieds

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion