The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-23-2009, 02:26 PM

Default Help with first classical guitar in NYC

Hi all,

I live in New York City and I'm trying to satiate my obsessive need for a classical guitar and yet still be able to afford food when its all said and done. I was thinking $400 at the high end. Now I'm thinking maybe $300-$600.

I've played piano most of my life and a little guitar but now I've become totally obsessed with classical guitar.

I want to be able to try the guitar I'm going to buy so that leaves out online purchases and limits me to what's in stock at my local guitar stores.

I've been to Rudy's and Luthiers in NYC and I'm thinking about either the Seagull Patrie Etude, the Alvarez AC60, or one of the Antonio Aparicios aa30 (which I kinda fell in love with but its around 600) or aa20.

Any thoughts? Anyone know of where else in New York I can try quality guitars - not counting Ash, GC or Mannys?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 PM

Two questions:

Are you going to play classical music?

And are you using classical technique (guitar on left leg, neck above horizontal, etc.)?
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 04-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Default Welcome!

I can't help you with your question, but I can say welcome to the forum!

James
Old 04-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I am going to play classical music. I'm willing to branch out into Jazz but I'm not there yet. I play(ish) Sor Etude in b minor, Op. 35, N° 22 and a couple of other studies on my steel string for the time being, but it makes it more difficult to use classical technique. But, yes, ideally I do use classical technique - proper positioning of the guitar on left leg, above the horizontal, angled, etc.

Thanks again!
Old 04-23-2009, 02:54 PM

If you can find a used Alvarez Yairi, then be sure to spend some time with it. I've played a few that were really special and very affordable.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 PM

PM sent

Tomo
Old 04-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Thanks Tomo! Very cool!
Old 04-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblerinthemind View Post
Yes, I am going to play classical music. I'm willing to branch out into Jazz but I'm not there yet. I play(ish) Sor Etude in b minor, Op. 35, N° 22 and a couple of other studies on my steel string for the time being, but it makes it more difficult to use classical technique.
Sounds exactly like me about six months ago. I had always used "classical" technique for fingerstyle steel-string and that Sor etude was the one piece I could sorta play.

I ended up way overspending my budget on an older Japanese classical guitar. I like the Yamaha guitars in the CG151/CG171 range among the really affordable ones and the Aparicio instruments you mentioned are probably nice at a slightly higher price point.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:41 PM

Did you see this??????????

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=152495
Old 04-23-2009, 03:42 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've played some Rodriguez guitars that are in your budget and sounded good. The GC by me (Route 17 Paramus NJ) had an Orpheous guitar also that sounded excellent.

My starter classical is a $99 all laminate. It doesn't sound boxy, believe it or not. To my ears, there isn't that much of a difference between my $99 special and a $300 solid top. Around $600 I start hearing a good bit of a difference. The Orpheous sounded excellent, but some of the workmanship was a little off.

Also, sales tax in NJ is only 7%. There is also a GC on Route 4 east in Paramus, west of the Garden state mall on the east bound side. Hop on the GWB and you're there in 15 minutes.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 04-23-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:59 PM

Default Alhambra 3F

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Yeah, I saw that earlier and was pretty excited about it but 1) its Flamenco so I'm not sure how that would effect my beginner classical playing and 2) I can't actually play it to know how it would effect anything.

Has anyone ever played the 3F and have an opinion?

Thanks for all the input so far, by the way.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblerinthemind View Post
Yeah, I saw that earlier and was pretty excited about it but 1) its Flamenco so I'm not sure how that would effect my beginner classical playing and 2) I can't actually play it to know how it would effect anything.

Has anyone ever played the 3F and have an opinion?

Thanks for all the input so far, by the way.
48 hour approval period is "kinda" standard on this forum................
Old 04-23-2009, 04:12 PM

I think that sometimes the spanish guitars tend to be set a bit high in the action. I have to agree with Brent, the Yamaha series 171SF is amazing. Yes, it's Flamenco, but I have played it several times at GC and this guitar is simply great for the price. Otherwise, I would scoop up the Takamine 132S on this forum, fantastic guitar, and it has a truss rod.

Lisa
Old 04-23-2009, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

I looked at classical gutars recently and played a number of them. Guitar Center sells the Orpheus Valley Sofia SC for about 650 bucks. Really nice sounding guitar, nicely made out of all solid woods (I think). Try one if you have a chance.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kremona-...38-i1443079.gc

Chris.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:24 PM

The fact of that Alhambra 3F is a flamenco is unlikely to present a problem IMHO.

I've played a Yamaha CG171SF (flamenco version) that would work fine for classical but the CG171S (spruce classical) had a warmer and fuller tone to my ears. Then again I played it a couple hundred hours of practicing after I played the '171SF which has to be part of the difference.

I think I'd jump on that 3F myself in your situation, unless you are really uncomfortable with buying before trying in person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion