The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
Estimate from Gibson. $1750 to $2K I have a meeting with the GC guy tomorrow.
Yeah, that's about what I expected.
Let us know what they say.
I'll be surprised if they drop the price anywhere NEAR that much, but they may come down a fair bit.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-29-2007, 09:03 PM

Have the top repaired with a spruce spline and have the top refinished. From someone competent, you'd be in about $350.00 to $450.00, and if it's done well and the spline is done on grain lines, it will hardly be visible when the top is refinished. You do not need a new top which is a real PITA on Gibsons. Of course you need the job done right...

The cheapie alternative is to spline it and then attempt a touchup, but that's still going to be a couple of hundred bucks.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Turner View Post
Have the top repaired with a spruce spline and have the top refinished. From someone competent, you'd be in about $350.00 to $450.00, and if it's done well and the spline is done on grain lines, it will hardly be visible when the top is refinished. You do not need a new top which is a real PITA on Gibsons. Of course you need the job done right...

The cheapie alternative is to spline it and then attempt a touchup, but that's still going to be a couple of hundred bucks.
The epoxy they already used to "repair" the crack cause any problems?

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 11-30-2007, 03:13 PM

Hopefully Rick will confirm but that bad epoxy joint, along with some wood on either side, would be totally cut out of the top in favor of the spline. The spline is just a narrow piece of spruce that would fit the cutout. A competent repair person would properly join the spline to the top and the refinish will make it barely noticeable. Sounds like the price would be right too!
Old 11-30-2007, 03:26 PM

Gibson'll probably want to do the top replacement work.

I'd suggest a luthier who specializes in SB restorations. SB is an art. I think there are only 2 fellas in Bozeman who can do it right. I'm sure there are luthiers out there who can do it, but I'd insist on watching them do it on someone else's top first to be sure they are capable. You only get one chance to get it right.

I think the difference between a standard burst and pear shaped burst where most of the top bout is brown with a pearshaped light patch on the lower bout is four carefully chosen curse words.

"Epi" FT145-SB 1970-ish
"Stella" Harmony Stella
"Jean" not so old Yamaha FG something or other
"Tillie", Short for "Otilda" Applause classic AE-33 (had to have an "O" name.)
"no name yet" S. Armienteras Spanish guit tar

Not a fancy stable, but they work for me.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:34 PM

I would avoid it due to the fact that it was apparently very dried out. There will apt to be other problems (warped neck, frets popping out, glue failure, etc). Why buy someone elses mistake?

2005 Taylor 914CE
2003 Pavan TP-20
2004 Samick JZ4 Archtop
2005 Squire Fat Srat
2010 Laguna LD1 Little Brat
Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 PM

"I wanted to know the cost to use as a negotiation. I want to buy her r e a l cheap and use her as is."

That's a great idea -- As long as the seller doesn't surf Internet guitar forums
Old 11-30-2007, 07:11 PM

I received an estimate for replacement of a split top on a J-185, with a sunburst finish applied, from Gibson Repair and Restoration in the Opryland facility in Nashville.

I believe it was going to be $1850, but that was with a switch to red spruce instead of sitka. So deduct maybe $300 or so from that figure.

I ended up doing what Rick Turner has already noted, that being having the crack repaired, and the sunburst touched up. Now it has battle scars. Set me back maybe $300.

Fred
Old 11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I Got her! Photo's n stuff tomorrow. The neck is straight the Frets smooth and even. The split has been pro secured. Sounds beautiful and I'm sure the strings are toast and diseased. So I am sure fresh strings will really let her sing.
I'm down a dust collecting Les Paul Smartwood, and up a Historic edition Acoustic Jumbo. I am smiling beyond belief. I'll have a Luthier check her out. I'll live with the marks. It's always calming for me when they aren't mint.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:57 PM

Congrats!!
I take it you were happy with how much they were willing to come down?

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 PM

Hey Yamaha Junkie,

congrats on the new acquisition! looking forward to the pics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion