The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2021, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Most players? Any statistics?
What’s your point here? Are you just trying to start an argument? Again, all I am saying is that UST tone is often considered to be dated. I know people like it but a lot hate it. All I am saying is that John’s acoustic tone is not usually mentioned as the best out there.
Old 09-06-2021, 08:33 AM

Methinks Mr. Mayer is doing lots right, including his “tone”.
YMMV, of course —-
Old 09-06-2021, 08:37 AM

Petty1818- I get what you are saying. I am astonished and disgusted at how terrible amplified acoustics often sound. They sound almost nothing like the rich, beautiful sound of the instrument. The word quack comes to mind. Michael Hedges (may he RIP) had incredible acoustic tone… showed how it could be done. Within weeks of seeing him I saw a very popular guitarist known for playing Lowdens and Olsons- both of which are acoustically magnificent. Through the sound system they sounded quacky and horrible. Palm to head. It can be done, but IMHO the music world has embraced the piezo quack as the actual sound of acoustic guitars.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
There was nothing negative about what I posted so no need to try to be sarcastic. John Mayer has used a Matrix for years. It's a standard UST pickup and sounds like a piezo. That's the tone that most players despise. I would never look to Mayer for a great acoustic tone. My point, which you missed, is that going from the SC pickup to the Matrix will not be a big difference as they are both UST pickups.
I probably should have included a wink and a smile emoji, because that is how I intended the comment . My bad, sorry. While I'm not closely familiar with Mayer's work or his live acoustic tone, I understand your point about USTs. It does seem however that Mr. Mayer makes it work for his material.

I'm actually not impressed with the UST in my SC13e or with the UST in several other guitars I've used either, but for the material I play and for the venues we play in, it works well enough. For me, it just wouldn't be worth it to spend hundreds and hundreds to pursue something optimal. Clearly you have a different perspective and need and I completely understand. If I were playing solo/instrumental material in quiet venues to an attentive audience I'd feel differently. That said, I may look into a Tonedexter or Voiceprint sometime soon.
Old 09-06-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
I probably should have included a wink and a smile emoji, because that is how I intended the comment . My bad, sorry. While I'm not closely familiar with Mayer's work or his live acoustic tone, I understand your point about USTs. It does seem however that Mr. Mayer makes it work for his material.

I'm actually not impressed with the UST in my SC13e or with the UST in several other guitars I've used either, but for the material I play and for the venues we play in, it works well enough. For me, it just wouldn't be worth it to spend hundreds and hundreds to pursue something optimal. Clearly you have a different perspective and need and I completely understand. If I were playing solo/instrumental material in quiet venues to an attentive audience I'd feel differently. That said, I may look into a Tonedexter or Voiceprint sometime soon.
No worries, I did overreact! I do think the UST sound is still a popular one, due in large part to so many companies/artists still using them. I think it's just sometimes funny to me that a guy like Mayer who knows tone and knows of every new product out there; still chooses the Matrix. I guess familiarity is a big part of it though. I will admit that if I had a guitar that sounded great with a UST but wasn't natural, I probably would stick with it.

On a side note, how do you like the SC-13 when played acoustically? Is it a nice sound?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
aaron short music, johbn mayer, john mayer sc-13e, martin guitar, spoon phillips