The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2004, 11:15 AM

IMO the policy not to discuss prices is correct. Each buyer can do their own bartering to get the best price possible. Learning how and when to barter is another subject.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 AM

Here is food for thought. I have a buddy who is in the Bizz.
Now He has a rep for making ''close'' deals on Guitars especially to his buddies and friends of his buddies.

But along comes mega store and iinternet guitar stores and so guys call him on the phone wanting his price. So what's he going to say? If he says he will sell John Doe Guitars for Cost plus ten percent or twenty whatever his method or 30 percent off you fill in the part. The problem is he doesn't know who he is talking to. It could just be someone shopping the lowest price or just already going to buy at the mega store but needs a figure to beat them down to so he uses the small dealers quote tells sales at the mega store you gotta beat this they do and who loses.

The little mom and pop store that quoted . So he quotes retail and makes that a policy you have to come in to get the best price . Well the customer on the other end says , Well Im in Oklahoma , I can't come to Georgia so eff you and hangs up.

There is no easy answer. I fear the result may very well be we will all be buying our Taylors in Walmart one of these days if something doesnt' happen to level the playing field.

I have made a committment to utilize the true Guitar stores that have modest internet sourcing and teaching on premises and repair on premises and very good SENSABLE return policys that protect both me and the dealer and friendly courteous service . I have seen at least one store in my area that has all that in spades and I recently showed my respect by purchasing a high dollar guitar from them at a less than perfect deal while weighing the advantages of having someone to deal with that has my best interest in mind in the long run. I feel luck franky that I have this option in reach without driving a long distance lucky indeed.

So pricing , the real subject here has broad implications for the future of retailers good and bad and we best be paying attention before we end up with guitar of your dreams in the hand of a very few.

Just look at the auto industry if you want to see where all retail is headed. It ain't pretty. One firm owning nine ford dealers in one city . Try dickering against that system LOL

later JMO

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 01-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally posted by Somnos
In quoting a price I was simply trying to get some quick feedback, make a good, though fastball purchase... 'Mea Culpa'...enthusiasm of the moment. I apologize....Sorry for the trouble, it won't happen again.
No problem. Glad you got your guitar.

Take care,

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM

Ignorance sure is bliss! Even before I joined this forum and found out all the hundreds of choices I could have had for this custon option or that one for my Taylor, I was perfectly happy. It wasn't until I joined this forum that I became unsettled about my natural inclinations about buying a Taylor. I bought four awesome guitars without even having to come here to decide. Now that is the kind of ignorance I like. I also like not knowing what others have paid, cuz mine is worth every penny because it is what I wanted and agreed to pay. So big deal, we can't, agreed not to, and won't discuss prices here. Now, if I could only get all you people to stop talking about things that may make me feel like I need another guitar, lol. It can really impact my personal life spending all my dough on guitars.

Now lets get a perspective here. If we did discuss prices on guitars here in this forum, it certainly wouldn't really make a whootin difference in the big scheme of Taylor marketing or in the distributors' ability to sell as many guitars. It would narrow the range of prices that guitars are sold at. Ya, it may make things more difficult for a few retailers, but come on, this forum doesn't represent any significant percentage of Taylor guitar sales compared to the whole. However, I am sure Taylor likes the fact that prices are not dicussed here.

And there are a few who control this forum, and who have friendly relationships with those who do, and with Bob Taylor himself that simply don't want to rock the boat of that relationship.

No, there will be no change in that policy. That is fine with me.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:37 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Taylor's no price listing on web sites and no email listing of prices is a marketing decision. As I've said before, you can call for prices, send a telegram asking for prices, send a standard letter, use smoke signals or telepathy. Just not email.

The best way to find out the best prices on Taylor guitars for us forum members is to either ask for recommendations for stores with the best prices and contact them by phone (no rules against that-yet), ask for folks to email you with price information, find out what discount people can get from the listed price and do the math yourself (we can't actually say WHAT that discount is on the forum, but Martin's can be had for approx. 40% off list price), or just head on over to one of the other guitar forums and ask.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 01-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fnesnor
IMO the policy not to discuss prices is correct. Each buyer can do their own bartering to get the best price possible. Learning how and when to barter is another subject.
True, but being an educated consumer means knowing what the best price you can get on a product is and then using that to bargain with.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 01-27-2004, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TaylorSmitten
Please report any price quote you see. Sometimes we miss a few due to the high post counts that happen daily.
Lisa, If I could remember where I saw it I would tell you but.................. oh darn it what was I saying?

You get the point. And to those of you who don't like the policy. May I suggest that you just get over it. Or you could go start your own forum. You could call it the PWWATGFPF. (People Who Whine About Talor Guitar Forum Policies Forum)

peace
ken
Yamaha SBG500
Old 01-28-2004, 12:22 AM

I'm always amused by folks who whine about other people whining. People are free to avoid discussions they are tired of.

Ken, YOU were the one who started this ball rolling in the first place!!

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 01-28-2004 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:23 AM

I'm with you on that one Jeff. I want people here to feel free about expressing their personal thoughts about the price thing, even if it has been discussed before. My wife and I, throughout our years together, continually revisit issues, it is normal and healthy expression. So, in other words, get over your issues with what you call, "PWWATGFPF", and lets get on with the forum.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:47 PM

Quote:
But along comes mega store and iinternet guitar stores and so guys call him on the phone wanting his price. So what's he going to say? If he says he will sell John Doe Guitars for Cost plus ten percent or twenty whatever his method or 30 percent off you fill in the part. The problem is he doesn't know who he is talking to. It could just be someone shopping the lowest price or just already going to buy at the mega store but needs a figure to beat them down to so he uses the small dealers quote tells sales at the mega store you gotta beat this they do and who loses.
Or you could shop for the best price and then give the mom & pop store (where you really want to buy it anyway) a chance to match.

I'm willing to pay a premium to buy at my local store. But certainly not a 15-20% premium. Price, unfortunately, is always a huge factor in where I buy (I have 4 kids and have not won the lottery ).

I don't necessarily understand, or agree with Taylor's policies on internet listings, etc., but it doesn't bother me either. If I'm serious about buying, I'm going to start calling around and find out what the best price I can get is. At least at that point, I can make an intelligent decison, making sure I have considered all of the factors.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 01-28-2004, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff M

Ken, YOU were the one who started this ball rolling in the first place!!
Yes but I had no idea it would roll this way. I was just wanting to know if there had been a policy change thats all. Really!

ken
Yamaha SBG500
Old 01-28-2004, 05:42 PM

Well, now you know not to go opening certain Pandoras boxes!!

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 01-28-2004, 10:16 PM

My feelings are that the retailer ( I don't like the Mom & Pop moniker) is free to set their pricing schedule anywhere they wish. I really have to think they know their own business well enough to make these decisions. So I don't really worry about their bottom line.
Every retailer faces competition from some quarter and reacts accordingly. Its pretty much up to the consumer to decide if the personal service afforded by the local guy justifies the higher price. But unless you do their taxes for them, no one really knows the true nature of their profitability.

Al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion