The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Songwriterfan, you are gonna have one sweet guitar. I would have gone for a darker binding like flamed Koa or even Ebony to frame the beauty of the natural maple and engleman. Like a picture frame. But that's just me. Did you get the satin neck finish?
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 PM

I debated long and hard about going with the Koa binding. But that picture of the Larrivee with the maple binding convinced me I wasn't making a mistake. If I'd been assured that the Koa would be EXTREMELY LIGHT in color (still darker than the maple and englemann, of course), I might've gone for it, though. I guess I just didn't like the way the koa binding would "divide" the guitar sides and back from one another.

I asked Jim about it, and he said it would be fine. (Hope he's right . . I hate having to face down a mistake that was MY fault when I special order something. ).

You know, if I'd thought about it earlier today, I would've asked if I could make the binding at the back/side joint using maple, while using koa for the top/side boundary. Not sure if Taylor would do that or not, though. Or would that be too crazy.

I went ahead and did gloss on the guitar neck, despite the warning of many. The two maple GS's that I've seen (and played just a bit) had the glossy necks, and I didn't notice any issues. And since it's flame maple (like the body and sides), I thought it'd be best if the finish also matched.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono View Post
Just checking, since the current GS comes default with Ivoroid binding, shouldn't I just be paying the difference between the cost of upgrading from plastic to Ivoroid and Flamed maple? Rather than the full cost of upgrading to flamed maple alone?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

Same story for the R Taylors, as well. They come standard with rosewood binding, but the upcharge for maple or koa binding is about the same as the upcharge on a regular Taylor . . even though on a regular Taylor the rosewood binding is a large percentage of the mapel or koa binding.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion