The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 05:09 PM

Default Will you still love me- tomorrow? (string content)

So the song popped up in my head and thought it was a fitting thread title.

I'm going to be checking out a local class tomorrow ("Guitar Study Hall"). Not sure what it is exactly, but I thought that if nothing else it might help me focus my direction. As I'm not sure of the what, why or who I thought it would be a bit presumptuous to show up with one of my "better" guitars. I don't want to be that guy. I just want to go in, let em here me play and tell me what direction I should be working on.

I figured I'd take my '81MIJ Epiphone, a terrific yet non-assuming guitar. So I pulled it out of its case, strummed a few chords and my brain went "oy" and put it back in the case. This guitar has had Elixir nano 12's on it for just a couple weeks, played once and stuck back in it's case to do penance. But I rethought the situation and realized that the Epi was the logical choice to bring tomorrow. That thought was coupled with remembering that I have 5 sets of Straight Up strings that I bought for testing purposes. The SUS strings should't sound any worse to me than the Epi with the Elixirs. So I strung the Epi up with the SUS strings, stretched, tuned, stretched some more, etc.

Initially the guitar is exhibited those Taylor type over-the-top shimmers, but started settling in a bit after a few minutes of hard play. If these strings don't poop out on me I'm really going to love them on this guitar. Hopefully by tomorrow they'll have a reasonably decent timbre for demonstration purposes.

In addition to the aforementioned shimmer what surprised me was the projection. I didn't expect my Epi to be this loud, but it was. Tension is nice and lighter than one would expect from 12 gauge strings. Bass is nice and full. I think when they settle in the Straight Up Strings will be another winner on this guitar. The SUS sound makes the Elixirs sound like noodles (just saying). While I wouldn't call my Epi a lower end guitar (far from it) I think the strings would be really great on less expensive models.

So... Will I still love them tomorrow?.......... Time will tell.

Disclaimer- I have absolutely no connection to Straight Up Stings in any way. I am merely a customer purchasing at retail prices like everyone else.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

Last edited by vindibona1; 09-10-2017 at 05:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion