The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I'm with you on that Barry.

It's usually a case of changing what finger I need to use for the bass section.

]
Recently I had one measure that was giving me a hard time because it had a bouncy tempo and I had to rock my hand back and forth to play this interval, then that (in DADGAD). Then I realized that I could substitute an open string in one interval and bingo, smooth sailing, lol.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
The technique that I learned from one of my guitar teachers is to start with the last measure and learn it. Then begin with the second to last measure, learn it and play through the last measure. Then start with the third to the last measure, learn it and play through the last measure. Keep doing this until you are beginning at the beginning. The reasoning behind this method is that the brain is going from the unknown to the known and doesn't get as stressed as it can if you start at the first measure and are going from the known to the unknown.

I find that the method does help me learn a piece more quickly. I still will pull out sections that are giving me problems and practice those separately. And after I learn the whole tune, I work on the flow and the rhythm which sometimes takes a bit to nail down.

Best,
Jayne
Wow I never thought of this but will try it and see if it works.
Old 09-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Default learning a new one

If I have the music, I just play it. If it feels like it will fall together, then I keep at it and will eve, upon occasion, go over and over on a more difficult part, trying to get it to sound right.

That's why I am not a better player than I am, too anxious to play up to speed and too bored to actualy learn it right..

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfq722 View Post
I learn the individual sections first - you may find there are only 5 or so in a song, just repeated. These sections I see like patches in a quilt...Once I know them cold, then I set about "stitching them together".
I do a version of this. I look for these repeating sections and then rewrite the piece as tab into a section by section format. Writing it myself -- even if I'm just copying -- helps me picture the most efficient fretting and understand the patterns more than just hearing or reading it. I then pick the section that repeats the most and start from there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion