The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM

Default High end guitar shops around Baltimore?

Little father and sons trip to the area. My brother and I are looking to surprise our father with a guitar. Anyone know any place to go looking?

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:28 PM

The best and only place I know near Baltimore for high end is Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville. Great place, great people.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshax View Post
The best and only place I know near Baltimore for high end is Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville. Great place, great people.
That's the only place up there that I know of, although I'm sure there are others. Washington isn't far -- another half hour drive south brings you to Montgomery County, which is one of the larger DC suburbs -- there's the House of Musical Traditions, in Tacoma Park, sort of on the Eastern/Bal'mer side of the County, and Chuck Levin's, among others. There are shops of interest in Northern Virginia too, but that's a bit more of a hike from Baltimore.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:39 PM

Appalachian Bluegrass is a great store. Down the street from them is Bill's. In Westminster there is Coffey Music if your interests are Taylor guitars. While GC does not get any love we have always found the one in Towson pretty good. They usually have a great selection of higher end used. We have seen a Taylor Liberty Tree there and a Martin Grand Old Opry (HDO) there.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:00 PM

Thank you. We went to coffey today and he wasn't impressed with the selection. Appalachian looks much more like what we're looking for. Going to surprise him by taking him on Monday.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM

See if he finds anything we can afford to fall in love with.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:05 PM

Another vote for Appalachian Bluegrass in Catonsville. Especially since Bill's is a block or two away and gives you two stores full of guitars in one shot. Chuck Levins and House of Musical Traditions are ok over this way too. Action Music in Falls Church, Va looks to have a good selection a little farther. Sorry I don't know about in Baltimore itself.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
Thank you. We went to coffey today and he wasn't impressed with the selection. Appalachian looks much more like what we're looking for. Going to surprise him by taking him on Monday.
Call ahead and see if Tyler is working. Tyler really knows his stuff there and is very good at matching people to the right guitar. Lord knows he's gotten me to empty my wallet a few times . . ,
Old 09-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoni View Post
Coffey is my local shop - I go there a lot. I'm looking to go to Catonsville to Appalachian Bluegrass soon as well....variety of selection is the reason......
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion