The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 10:32 AM

Default Farewell to an old friend (guitar)

Today, I sold the first guitar I bought - a 1974 Ovation Pacemaker 12-string. I bought it at Manny's in NYC (which makes this a double trip down memory lane).

My shoulder issues made it impossible for me to play this deep bowl Ovation for more than 5 minutes.

Farewell old friend. I'll miss you, but I think you're with a new owner that really appreciates you and will play you well.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:18 AM

Sometimes you have to release them into the wild and let them find a new home.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:45 AM

In the 1960s I remember thinking there was no place on earth like 48th ST in NYC. In the mid-60s I bought my first electric at Mannys - a used Dan Electro. A year later I bought my first bass - a used Hagstrom Model I from them. One of my favorite memories was walking across the street to Dan Armstong's shop and literally bumping into Steve Stills who was walking out as I was walking in.

I can commiserate with you about selling off a guitar you have held onto for a very long time. I did not keep my first guitars but did keep some of my early ones. I still have the Harmony Sovereign I bought from a friend while in High School. I also picked up a 1950s Telecaster. I got it from the father of a friend who had bought it new and played it in a country band. Paid near five times more for it than I had for the Dano. While I loved the Harmony, it was mainly a backup guitar. The Tele was my main instrument. I gigged with it for decades. Even when I stopped playing electric I kept the Tele with me. Finally when the value hit five digits I figured I should sell the thing and that it really deserved to be played again. I had nightmares about it, waking up with the sweats having had a dream I went looking for it but could not find it.

Just hoping your letting go of an old friend sends you down an easy road.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion