The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Default Has anyone played the gs mini walnut?

What'd you think?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:09 PM

Default perspective

Taylor says that GS Minis, being of laminated construction, sound virtually the same, if the same species of soundboard is used; i.e., those with spruce soundboards will sound alike, those with mahogany soundboards will sound alike, etc. The variations in the body woods are cosmetic.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 PM

Conventional wisdom (from Bob Taylor and others) says that all the layered wood variants will sound about the same, and it is mostly cosmetic. However, no two spruce tops are exactly identical, so some variation occurs there. So some Mini's will sound a little better than others. Walnut is pretty, as is koa.

My wife has owned both the spruce top and mahogany topped versions. We both liked the mahogany top better tonally.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:25 AM

Default No direct Taylor knowledge, but...

...I found a distinct difference between the walnut and the wild-cherry laminate B&S versions of the Seagull Mini Jumbo. The walnut version was much brighter and livelier sounding than its mellow, warm sister. (That's the one you usually see, with the cedar top stained in Godin's "Cognac Burst." The walnut version, with a plain white cedar top, is less common.)

The walnut Seagull was louder, too. You might almost say it sounded "Taylor-like." Certainly it looks unique. It's the one I chose for my only flattop acoustic. I imagine the new walnut Taylor will be a bold choice, with a loud voice.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Taylor says that GS Minis, being of laminated construction, sound virtually the same, if the same species of soundboard is used; i.e., those with spruce soundboards will sound alike, those with mahogany soundboards will sound alike, etc. The variations in the body woods are cosmetic.
So did you play one? What'd you think?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Conventional wisdom (from Bob Taylor and others) says that all the layered wood variants will sound about the same, and it is mostly cosmetic. However, no two spruce tops are exactly identical, so some variation occurs there. So some Mini's will sound a little better than others. Walnut is pretty, as is koa.

My wife has owned both the spruce top and mahogany topped versions. We both liked the mahogany top better tonally.
Groovy. Have you played the walnut one? What did you think?
Old 09-09-2017, 06:24 AM

I have played a few of the walnuts and I was not thrilled. But I can't say the difference between my response to the walnuts and my rosewood back mini was caused by the veneers used and not by other factors. I think I just lucked into a superior mini with my rw.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 AM

I have had an early, regular sapele and spruce Mini for about 4 years

I got it second hand, but almost new and unplayed.

I can honestly say that little guitar definitely "opened up" after a few weeks of giving her a good thrashing !
BIG improvement (IMO, and that of some playing pals).

So, the thing is, they are probably all going to sound a bit different, hopefully better, after they've broken in a bit.

I do like the Mini a lot, but I think I'd want to at least try a Martin D Jr. If I was thinking about buying another small guitar of that ilk.

Sorry Billy, I know none of my rambling helps with your walnut question,
but I'm guessing everything but the top's cosmetic. Get the prettiest one !
Old 09-09-2017, 08:06 AM

one thing I can say is that I have yet to play any Taylor Academy guitars that I liked the sound of. The walnut minis sounded better.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 09-09-2017, 08:32 AM

I have owned both spruce with sapele, a spruce with rw back, two hog minis and currently own a Koa one. I know Bob Taylor says about the B&S not making a difference, but I beg to differ. To my ear, the hog versions were far superior to the spruce versions, big tonal difference, the rw back one was a cannon but harsh, and the Koa is kinda in between both. Of all of them, the hogs were the most consistent, big sound, full, mellow and smooth. For some reason, with hog tops it seems the darker, stripey ones sound much better than the lightly colored ones. Shouldn't have sold my last hog, big mistake. I have not tried one with walnut, but did own a 414 ltd with walnut b&s, and it had a really nice tone. Of course that was solid walnut. I would expect that the tone of the laminated walnut would be in between the sapele and rw laminated choices. Try them all, play, play, play!
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 09-09-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyfamilyvide View Post
Have you played the walnut one? What did you think?
No I haven't, sorry. Since we have sold off both GS Mini's that once lived here (now that she has her CA Cargo) I have zero interest in playing other Mini's or going down that road again. They were my petite wife's thing. I found them too small for comfort, between the 23.5" scale and the 1-11/16" neck width. I'm built like an NFL lineman so I don't need a smaller guitar, and I don't travel by air any more, period. My favorite guitar size is the Taylor GA series with wider necks, or my Rainsong WS-1000.

In fact, I rarely go into music stores -- maybe three times per year at most. We have owned or still own everything we really wanted to try, and are actively downsizing and converting over to an all-CF fleet, and very few stores stock carbon fiber guitars. My *last* guitar purchase is in the build queue in Ireland right now -- an Emerald X20-12 twelve string, for delivery around Christmas.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion