The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-10-2017, 01:28 PM

Im late to this game but I think people prefer dark guitars, anyway I do. In addition I dont like the look of maple especially flamed. It looks like somebody's deceased bones.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Im late to this game but I think people prefer dark guitars, anyway I do. In addition I dont like the look of maple especially flamed. It looks like somebody's deceased bones.
Everybody has their own tastes, but what got me interested in buying my 614 was my buddy's. The wood flaming on it was just so gorgeous that it was simply a work of art. Sadly, in latter models Taylor seems to have gotten less fussy with their selection of maple. Perhaps that's part of the reason for going to the staining- to partly camouflage a lower grade of maple to make that less apparent? Even so, the sound of that guitar is amazing. If I didn't already have a 614 and 814 I'd buy the new 614. Probably the most versatile in the Taylor lineup besides the 914.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-10-2017, 06:31 PM

I like them both. I think if I had to pick I'd go for the stained look but I wouldn't be disappointed with either.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:40 AM

Default Why is Taylor staining the new 614's????

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I remember seeing my buddy's beautiful 2008 614ce. His had a gorgeous three piece back and the flaming on the sides of his guitar was simple the art of nature. I couldn't believe how gorgeous a guitar could be, so much so that I got gas for a 614 myself and when the opportunity arose I jumped on it. I confess that the flaming on mine is not as nice as his, but still pretty darn nice. The flaming and the natural maple (at least to me) was as much a draw to the guitar as was the sound.

And so I've recently had the opportunity to play one of the new re-voiced 614's and I'll tell ya, if you're considering an 814, play the 614 first before deciding. The new re-voiced 614's is one of the sweetest sounding guitars I've ever played. Just a great all-around guitar.

BUT WHY THE HECK DID THEY STAIN THE SIDES AND BACK????? Staining that beautiful maple is akin to paving paradise and putting up parking lot (to coin a phrase). Does anyone know why Taylor chose to do this??? I have my thoughts, but does anyone KNOW???

One last thing... How do they continue to call these by the same model names??? My buddy's 614 with three piece back, original ES pickups, finger-interlaced head joint resembles little of my 614 with a two piece back, a scarf joint and ES1 system. What's similar?- Top, bridge, nut and tuners... That's it! And now with forward shifted bracing, torrified top, stained back and sides and ES2, again similar, but not really the same guitar.

Inquiring minds just want to know.

Martin has been staining their Rosewood guitars as well and been going it for years and years. Their claim (at least as I remember) is that it provides a color consistency not available in unstained woods.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion