The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Acoustic Tech in Portland, Oregon?

Any recommendations for good acoustic techs in Portland? I've had work done by The 12th Fret (electrics only) and Portland Fretworks, and the search goes on.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:02 PM

I had my guitar set up by this guy named Mike who's business is called Sound Service. He doesn't have a shop set up yet so he actually came to my house and picked up my guitar on a Saturday and brought it back the following Wednesday. He moved from San Francisco and trying to establish himself in PDX. He worked fast and seems to really know his stuff. Gryphon strings and Taylor guitar are places he worked at before setting up his own business.
You'll find him on Yelp.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:14 PM

Matt Wright, his www is Wrightsounds, he did a very good job on my 2001 Takamine LTD. Did it when he said he would, did what he said he would, he did a good job of it and at the price he quoted. Can't ask for more.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 09-08-2017, 07:21 PM

The 12th Fret has done work on several of our acoustics. Excellent in all respects.

Some wonderful guitars
Old 09-08-2017, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Kerry Char does great work and has reasonable prices. Portland Fretworks does excellent work too.

As with any acoustic guitar tech, explaining what I want and making sure the tech understands that, is an important part of the process.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
I had my guitar set up by this guy named Mike who's business is called Sound Service. He doesn't have a shop set up yet so he actually came to my house and picked up my guitar on a Saturday and brought it back the following Wednesday. He moved from San Francisco and trying to establish himself in PDX. He worked fast and seems to really know his stuff. Gryphon strings and Taylor guitar are places he worked at before setting up his own business.
You'll find him on Yelp.
Thanks, I'll have a look on Yelp. It sounds like Mike has great references.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
Matt Wright, his www is Wrightsounds, he did a very good job on my 2001 Takamine LTD. Did it when he said he would, did what he said he would, he did a good job of it and at the price he quoted. Can't ask for more.
Thanks. I'm acquainted with Matt but not had any work done by him. He was the tech for Old Town Music a while back.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:04 PM

There is a great one in Bend, Oregon just three hours away from Portland. His name is Butch Boswell. He builds very nice high end guitars but also does repair and set up work. Nice guy. Very fair prices. He used to be with Taylor and SCGC and gets good references from both. I highly recommend him. Look up Boswell Guitars.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Kerry Char does great work and has reasonable prices. Portland Fretworks does excellent work too.

As with any acoustic guitar tech, explaining what I want and making sure the tech understands that, is an important part of the process.
Thanks, I'll look into Kerry.

Agreed that being able to communicate specifics is important, and I make a major effort to do so. What I find frustrating is that things can be communicated, documented in a work order, and come back different. I had a frustrating incident a year ago that took five trips and two saddles to get the action height to the numbers I originally requested.

I have two minor projects pending. My current tech has never done the work before and doesn't seem to have all the tools. 1) I want to replace vintage-style open-back tuners with Gotoh SXN510Vs. I simply want the rear of the peghead counter-bored, not 10mm holes drilled straight through. 2) I'm considering slotting the bridge pin holes on several guitars and going to solid pins. When the tech said 'Dremel,' I about spit.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th Element View Post
Any recommendations for good acoustic techs in Portland? I've had work done by The 12th Fret (electrics only) and Portland Fretworks, and the search goes on.
What were the issues at those two? Just curious. I've used Fretworks a couple times and was happy.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
There is a great one in Bend, Oregon just three hours away from Portland. His name is Butch Boswell. He builds very nice high end guitars but also does repair and set up work. Nice guy. Very fair prices. He used to be with Taylor and SCGC and gets good references from both. I highly recommend him. Look up Boswell Guitars.
Thanks, I love Bend and especially the surrounding area.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
What were the issues at those two? Just curious. I've used Fretworks a couple times and was happy.
Portland Fretworks generally is pretty good. My issues are a little too much rework (nothing catastrophic, just inconvenient and frustrating) and unfamiliarity with some work slightly outside the norm. Experiences at The 12th Fret led me to learn to do a lot of my own tech work.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

I've been super happy with the 12th Fret and Jim Lowenherz at Guitar Works.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:05 PM

Great experience with Portland Fretworks @ 30th and Alberta. They did an amazing job setting up my Bourgeois and my Martin is in the shop as we speak getting some Waverly tuners and a K&K pickup installed.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far on The 12th Fret and Portland Fret Works. I am familiar with these two and would appreciate feedback on other techs, please.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 AM

I've been happy with 12th Fret, but my friend who had a frustrating experience with them, has been going to Kerry Char and is very pleased with his work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion