The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm a "guitars are like ice cream" guy, my favorite is Strawberry, but sometimes I want Butter Pecan or Peanutbutter Fudge, etc. I want as many different flavors as I can afford. I like my Taylor, I love my Gibson, I like my Martin's. I'd like to upgrade my 000 Martin to probably a 000-18 someday. I'd like to add a Gibson LG something because I really like that sound. My Loar LH-200 has the right vibe and is an excellent guitar for the money, but I do want to get the real thing one day. Every brand has a few models they do really well and I'd like to get as many of those different guitars as I can afford.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystory92 View Post
Hey guys,

After being in this forum for awhile, and seeing sigs with what guitars people own, I was curious about what drives your guitar buying thought process.

For me, I want as many different guitars as I can. Mainly, I want a Taylor, a Martin, a Gibson, and a Guild. I've played all of these brands in stores but want to own a 6 string acoustic from all of them. I believe they are the biggest names in acoustic guitars and think they all became that for a reason. Hopefully, in the end, I would decide which was best for me and perhaps sell the others. Ya know what they say, variety is the spice of life!

On the other hand, I've noticed that some people LOVE one company and end up buying 5 or so of their guitars. This can go for any company that you love. Who needs different necks and nut widths and other variables? Not them! I can appreciate these people for knowing what they like and what they want.

Which one are you and why?
Hi tr…

9 guitars, 3 handbuilt, all others manufactured (9 guitars, 8 brands).

For me, it's all about playability, tone, resonance, responsiveness, projection, and sustain. Brands didn't enter into the picture with any of my choices.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-08-2017, 01:43 PM

For me it's all about where the things I want in life are made. Every dollar I have ever earned came from a Canadian and therefore whenever I can, I buy Canadian. With guitars that's been easy Seagull, Larrivee, Halcyon.

Now I still have my first guitar a Yamaha FG335 (1979) I have Gibson electric which was given to me and I have owned an Ovation which was a great guitar.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 09-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,
For me, I want as many different guitars as I can. Mainly, I want a Taylor, a Martin, a Gibson, and a Guild. I've played all of these brands in stores but want to own a 6 string acoustic from all of them. I believe they are the biggest names in acoustic guitars and think they all became that for a reason. Hopefully, in the end, I would decide which was best for me and perhaps sell the others. Ya know what they say, variety is the spice of life!

On the other hand, I've noticed that some people LOVE one company and end up buying 5 or so of their guitars. This can go for any company that you love. Who needs different necks and nut widths and other variables? Not them! I can appreciate these people for knowing what they like and what they want.

I focused on different voices, without real regard to brand.

Maple/Sitka Taylor GS
Mahogany/Sitka Taylor GS
Rosewood/Sitka Martin OM
Rosewood/Cedar Breedlove OM
Mahogany/Sitka Breedlove OM cutaway
Mahogany/Sitka Gibson Square Shoulder

They are all different, on purpose.
Gibson J-30
Walden CO500 (camper)
Fender FSR BSB Telecaster
Old 09-08-2017, 04:26 PM

When I find a great brand that offers things that I like, I tend to start my search there, but I don't always end up there. In my electric days, I had good luck with Carvin guitars, but I never played them exclusively. I've had good luck with Alvarez as well. I have always been and will always be a fan of Martin guitars, but when I went shopping for an acoustic, I found that Taylor had some offerings that worked better for me as far as the features I was looking for and price. For what I want to do now, I can't imagine anything better than Huss and Dalton, but that doesn't mean that I'll stop looking.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-08-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

For me, I want as many different guitars as I can.

I'm with you. I want variety of sound and tone.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey guys,

After being in this forum for awhile, and seeing sigs with what guitars people own, I was curious about what drives your guitar buying thought process.

Hi,

your question amuses me.

My instruments have been acquired over nineteen years when I finally understod exactly what I required in my guitars.

I own a number of similar guitars made by Collings, a Martin 12 string because Collings don't make an equivalent, and a Santa Cruz version of the Gibson Roy Smeck - for the same reason.

I decided back in 1996 what I wanted in an ideal guitar - effectively the pre 1934 Martin dreadnought - a large bodied wider necked guitar.

Collings interpretation of this in their DS models proved to be ideal (for me) and superior to the other maker's options - mainly because the dimensions and perfection of the necks, plus the fit, finish and, of course, the even tonality.

However, I've been fortunate to acquire my guitars used apart from the first one, and I probably couldn't afford their prices new now (considering import costs and 20% tax).
Old 09-08-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Hey guys,

I think I'm both.
Here's why.

I have 8 children.
For the same reasons as you, me gots me some Martin, Gibson, Guild, and Taylor, plus a lovely 1975 J.R. Romero hecho en mano classical I bought in Spain.

But, instead of 8 different brands I have:
2 Guilds (a 1976 D-55 and a 1977 F-212 XL)
2 Big Baby Taylors
2 Gibbys (Les Paul & ES-335 - Gibby acoustics not being my cup of tea)
1 Martin Authentic D-28 VTS.

I guess that makes me a hybrid of your two types.

Last edited by Tico; 09-08-2017 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:16 PM

Personally I could never imagine a day when I only pick up one brand at a guitar shop. It seems so limiting. And no, variety across a single brand does not equal true variety. But we are all individual so whatever makes us happy is beyond judgement imho
Old 09-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Born a Martin guy, suppose I'm pretty hardcore Larrivee now -- as a favorite -- but I love them all. Name on the head stock doesn't really matter much to me. If it says, 'Play me.', it's a keeper.

Lots left I want to try.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Thumbs up

I'm not brand specific but if I were I'm quite certain it would Larrivee. Yup, it would be Larrivee.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 PM

What's a brand? Is that some new type of guitar I now have to check out?

Truthfully, I am not brand loyal per se, but I understand how one could be. I love Taylor's, I love Martins when other people play them. I played a few Collings that have haunted me ever since. I would like to try some more Goodalls, and SCGC's, and Froggy Bottoms.

However, it is the finished product and the synergy between me and the finished product that draws my interest. If I had to choose a "brand" right now and stick with it for life, I would choose Lowden. But there are so many guitars I have not even seen let alone tried so that doesn't mean much.

The BEST hunk of wood I have had the pleasure to play recently was a Huss & Dalton (something or other). You know when you hear the pros coaxing incredible tones out of a guitar? Well I was able to do that with this guitar. It almost felt like cheating.

Someone mentioned the ice-cream analogy. I like that, because there are so many different flavours and our tastes change over time.
Taylor 814CE
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM

Default brands

I can certainly understand and appreciate brand loyalty. I exercise it in many of my purchases if i have found a brand that really does it for me. With guitars, it used to be Martin, but now I seem to be on a diversification tangent, which is a lot of fun and allows me to find excuses to buy more than I'd ever wanted before. And of course I'd like to believe I now have better guitars. (Of course if I'd just wanted that, there are better Martins I could have bought.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:04 PM

I am open to other brands, but am most attracted to the brands that were played by the people I listened to when I was a kid. For acoustics, that mostly means Martin, Gibson and Guild (although live there were a lot of Ovations out there . . . ). For electrics, I think Fender (I have a Tele), Gibson, Gretsch, Rickenbacker.

I live 10 to 15 miles from the New Hartford factory where they made Guilds, and I did not just want any Guild, I wanted a New Hartford Guild. (I have an F-30 Std.)

When it is time to add another acoustic guitar, it will probably be a Martin, Gibson or Guild.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:19 AM

I'm brand loyal since the necks of many of my guitars feel similar and it's easy to transition playing from one to the next. I have a hard time buying other brands since I feel that 1) acoustic guitars should have a set neck, 2) I appreciate getting a quality guitar for the money spent while not over paying for a name, 3) though I'm proud to be an American, I don't have to buy an American made guitar, and 4) I've never picked up a Yamaha that was a total dud -- can't say the same for some other brands. The $3500 worth of my 4 acoustic electric Yamahas all offer something different sound-wise and playability-wise, sound great, look good, and suit my needs. I'd take those 4 any day over one other really nice guitar.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 09-09-2017 at 06:29 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion