The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2017, 08:36 AM

No brand loyalty here. I like what I like. I always wanted a Martin and it took me 35 years to stumble upon the one I couldn't put down and walk away from. Alvarez Yairi's always filled the Martin niche for me until I found "the one". I never had any emotional draw toward Taylor but now own two of them. I don't think I have the emotional attachment to my Taylors as I do my Martin.

Along the way I picked up an '81 MIJ Epiphone PR-755s as a "beater" but it sounds great and is built to standards that you'd see on better Martins. Don't think I'll ever sell it though.

I think it's about the individual guitars, often purchased without a specific intent, but just stumbling upon them inadvertently with opportunity knocking on the door.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-08-2017, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

For me, it is a tough one, as I am actually whittling down my guitars. However, I'd bought a few Martins, a few Washburns, a couple Martin era Sigmas, without second thought as to what was on the headstock. My thing was does it work for me and my needs, is it playable (I always take my online guitars in for a setup anyways). As I have discovered, even though I am tall (6ft1) it is easier for me to play a parlor sized guitar. So that is what I am going down to, 2 parlor guitars.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Charter Member

For me, tone and playability are of paramount importance, more so than headstock label. I look for instruments that in my mind are 'best in class', are versatile enough to play different styles, very good values, and comfy enough (for me) to play for multiple hours. Right now i have three, but I've owned Taylor, Larrivee, Tacoma (among the best-for-$$), budget Alvarez, and a Breedlove or two. And my first was an old Sears Harmony. Part plywood, part laminate, part cardboard. I think I paid $35.00 in paperboy earnings for it. (wish I still had that one...)

I don't need any more than the ones I have right now. My three will handle and cover anythingI want to do, from strumming to fingerstyle to flatpicking to bluegrass to blues to instrumentals, and on and on.

I think the reason I am so happy with these is that I stopped worrying so much about saving a penny and just went for the best matches for my ear and playing style.

Might get a nylon string, though...
Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

Never had any brand loyalty. There are a number of guitars with various monikers on the headstock that work for me and as many that don't. At present I own guitars built by Gibson, Epiphone (before Gibson entered the picture), Oscar Schmidt, Regal, Kay, and Harmony. I have slotheads and solid headstocks, 12 fretters and 14 fretters, ladder braced, and forward shifted and standard X braced guitars.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 AM

Ever since I heard and played my first Martin in the early '60's, I've come to associate "that sound" with that brand. I've owned a fair number of 'em over the years, along with several other brands.
Enjoy whatever turns you on, at least something does, or we wouldn't be here !
Don

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-08-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 09-08-2017, 08:46 AM

I just want a guitar that speaks to me, an instrument that has a tone that makes what I'm playing sound how I want it to sound.

Brand loyalty stems from reputation, only some of which is usually deserved.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It is both/and for me and not either/or. I have been looking to add an all mahogany short scale OM and I found one from Santa Cruz that fits the bill perfectly. Kathy Wingert, who built a guitar for me before, doesn't generally build all mahogany guitars. If she did, I would consider another guitar from her, but as it stands Richard Hoover does some great things with all mahogany guitars so I will probably go with him.

To me it is exciting when you play a bunch of different guitars and get surprised by something. So even though I could tend toward luthier loyalty, in the end, I want to find the best tone and feel that I am looking for in a particular instrument. That makes me want to be as open as possible to all the options out there.

On the other hand, if I know that a particular brand has the consistency in tone and feel that I am looking for, I can see where continuing to support that brand would make a lot of sense. Collings is a good example and I know people who own several of their guitars because that builder/brand consistently offers what they are looking for.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-08-2017, 08:59 AM

I like a variety - If I want a Lowden tone then I'm not going to get it from a Martin or Taylor.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:03 AM

Since Dad came from the hollers where "blue" first met "grass" I was heavily imprinted early on Martins, and had four at one time (D-28, J-40, 000-16, Alt-II Resonator). But some time after age 45, the narrow 1-11/16" nut and their neck carve began bothering my left hand. Enter Taylor with their wider neck and excellent playability. At one point I was up to nine of them, including GS Mini and T5, but several have since moved on too. The last wood guitars that I own in the end will be my two Taylor killer koa guitars. Everything else made of wood will eventually be sold off.

These days I am actively swapping over to no-fuss carbon fiber. By Christmas I will own one example from each of the "big four" brands currently in that world -- Rainsong WS-1000, Composite Acoustics Cargo, Blackbird Lucky 13, and soon an Emerald X20-12 twelve string. You could say that I am now loyal to Carbon Fiber, but have diversified across every major brand.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 AM

I've always thought it would be cool to have one "iconic" model from each of the major manufacturers.

Taylor 814ce (I have a 314ce)
Martin D-18 or D-28 (I have a D-18)
Gibson J-45
Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335
Fender Telecaster (have one)
Fender Strat

I figure that's probably all I'll need; except maybe a Grestch of some sort.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 09-08-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've found that once I zeroed in on Taylor GAs my GAS has subsided considerably....
I see what you did there.
• AGF-only discounts
Free Shipping + Free Returns
Shoreline Rewards
Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 09-08-2017, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

I am comfortable ordering 1 of the 5 brands I currently own based on my experience with theses brands. And I suppose that number could grow. I guess I have a type of brand loyalty.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:38 AM

My first principle with acoustic guitars is sonic variety. I don't mind owning brands I like or admire, but that's not the point. And for good or ill, I've generally owned several acoustic guitars that offer me different, yet pleasing sounds rather than searching for the "one great guitar."

If I have any brand loyalty, it's to Seagull, but it just so happens I like their necks, and three used ones followed me home over the years.

So yes, I guess you'd say I'm on the diversity side.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

I enjoy having one more vintage type guitar with Mahogany for playing faster songs and more flat picking stuff on a whole. A quick slightly more bright instrument. I also enjoy owning one more modern and rich sounding instrument usually with a Redwood or Cedar top and Rosewood back and sides which works well for slower songs and for fingerstyle playing. I like both of them having great tone, be loud, and they need to be crazy responsive. I like both of them to be able to be versatile enough to cover both styles a little bit. Like a 70/30 split. There are quite a few great brands that build what I like and I've played and owned a bunch of them over the years. Its a great time to be an acoustic guitar player!!

Outside of those two main acoustics which are my two most expensive guitars. I enjoy having a Baritone Acoustic, a Carbon Fiber Acoustic for playing outside and 1 electric guitar just to keep a toe or two in that Electric Guitar Water.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

Last edited by SuperB23; 09-08-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:53 AM

Why limit yourself when there are so many great guitars out there.
While my loyalty does go to American made guitars, the 2 guitars that I use in my band are imports. One is a baritone by Alvarez and the other a resonator by Flinthill.
I also have two other imports. One is a Crafter 12 string and the other a very special Yamaha L20-A.
Back at home I have a Martin, a Taylor and a Guild.

I have bought and sold a lot of other guitars over the past 10 years but these guitars have stayed with me.
They each offer me something unique and special.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion