The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Taylor 414ce-rw vs. Stonebridge/Furch G22cr-c

I currently own one guitar, a dreadnought which provides very nice sound, but has been bothering my right shoulder and back when I play it sitting down. I am considering moving on from it, to a Grand Auditorium model in order to preserve as much of the robust sound I get from a dreadnought while making it easier on my aging shoulder and back.

Two guitars that have come across my radar from listening to sound clips and from reviews are the above-listed Taylor 414ce-rw and the Stonebridge/Furch G22cr-c. Both are grand auditorium size, both have rosewood back and sides, the Taylor has a Sitka spruce top, the Stonebridge/Furch has cedar for its top.

I know the stock response is to play them both, but although I can find the Taylor locally, the Stonebridge/Furch model is considerably scarcer to find, which may mean purchasing without having the luxury of trying out first. Currently, I do a more strumming than fingerpicking, but am about to begin lessons that will concentrate more on fingerpicking. I find my dreadnought very robust for strumming but a bit subdued for fingerpicking, and even when strumming, sometimes I find my voice has to compete with the volume.

Any opinions, recommendations between the Taylor and the Stonebridge/Furch, or is there something else I should be considering in the roughly $2000 price range? FWIW, I don't really care about the cutout or electronics, but find the Taylor seems to only be readily available in the cutout/electronics model, and the Stonebridge/Furch to be somewhat available in the cutout model.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Check you PM!
Old 09-07-2017, 11:00 AM

Furch anytime!
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 09-09-2017, 02:47 PM

Ive heard the furch cedar/rw combos are amazing. I have owned sit/hog and sit/rw furchs, both have blew me away with the tone and quality, I would say if you were in europe, furch would be considerably the better value guitar but not sure how that would compare in the US.

Quality wise I would say my furch is equal too my martin. And in the uk is a third of the price new!

The tone and quality of the vintage series is top drawer and I would expect the millenium series to be the same.

Not really a taylor fan.

Good luck.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion