The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
…how easy is it to go from never using one to now using one (in other words, I didn't learn travis picking or finger picking using a thumbpick); etc.

Thanks in advance.
Hi S

I taught fingerstyle guitar for over 30 years, and it takes a week or so to adjust. Players like Tommy E use Thumb Picks, Dobro Picks, flat picks and no picks depending on the song.

It will just make you more versatile if you go to the music store (or amazon) and order a couple. A good reason to go to the store is to see what size fits. And the tip determines how defined the attack is.

Some people even use a thumb pick as a flat pick so they order the 'special' ones. I recommend you just start with a plain-ole thumb pick and see where it takes you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM

+1 for Fred Kelly Speedpicks

They take a while to get used to but they work great.

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 09-06-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

looking for anybody's suggestions on how to learn to use one; how easy is it to go from never using one to now using one (in other words, I didn't learn travis picking or finger picking using a thumbpick); etc.

Thanks in advance.
If you're comfortable picking with a bare thumb, then you'll pick up using a thumb pick in no time. When you first put it on, it might feel like the most awkward and unwieldy thing in the world. But, like with any new guitar trick, you'll pick it up soon enough and it'll become second nature.

Depending what kind of music you're playing, you'll probably want to try palm muting/dampening the bass strings. Especially if you're playing with a thumb pick and bare fingers. The bass will be a lot louder. Palm muting balances things out nicely.

While you're at it, go ahead and give fingerpicks a try. Again, weird at first, but can add nice volume and even delicacy to your playing. I find because I don't have to hit the strings so hard with finger picks, I can play with more dynamics with fingerpicks.

I finger pick 90% of the time with a thumb pick. 50% of the time with finger picks. It's nice to have options.
Old 09-06-2017, 02:43 PM

I'd tried a lot of thumb picks and didn't gel with any of them. One day I was ratting around in my "picks, slides, capos, cuban cigars, tuners, strings, nail files, harmonicas" box and found a Herco Heavy. Not sure where it came from but we connected and the rest is history.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:44 PM

Also, because you can have a straighter wrist with a thumb pick I believe that it is safer for your wrist over time.
By the way, I dont palm mute, just finger style
Old 09-06-2017, 05:11 PM

Like anything else a thumbpick just requires and adjustment along with some practice to get used to it. I think finger picks are much harder to get used to.

I use a variety of thumpicks depending on the sound I want and how I want to use it. I even put speed bevels on some of them. I really like the Herco thumbpick, particuarly the ones' that I've put speed bevels on which crispen up the attacks. A lot of times I have to immediately go from strumming to finger picking or the reverse. The right thumbpick has the ability to cover a lot of ground.

Don't be afraid of trying a couple. They're cheap. But just make the commitment to stay with them for two week and you won't look back.

[IMG][/IMG]
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 PM

Recording is just part the job. First you should save in a non compressed format then play it back over good speakers. I doubt that many computer speakers qualify.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM

I nay-sayed a thumbpick for years because of the memory of my first crack at it and how awkward and ungainly it was. It almost seemed like I was trying to learn to fingerpick all over again. Then, one day I decided to give it an honest go and within a week was kicking myself for not making a better effort years prior.

I use a Planet Waves or National Tortoise celluloid 1mm pick with no mods. I suggest learning to use those as-is so you'll never need to bother modding them. Fred Kelly's Delrin picks are great for learning with and getting used to the pinch band. But, Delrin is a soft nylon and you'll eventually notice they are a little slap-noisy on the strings and won't give up the base like the heavier celluloid does.

Last edited by Pitar; 09-06-2017 at 07:38 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:04 PM

I have used just about every thumb pick made (at one time or another) and I have never found anything better than the Speed Pick. I know someone else also mentioned Doyle Dykes and Speed Picks - I was also introduced to Fred Kelly Speed Picks by Doyle Dykes handing them out at one of his shows. I thought I had found many good picks over the years, but these are by far the best for me.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Relative to reports from others, looks like I am an underachiever as it took me 3 months of fighting the darn things before I thought I was back to even. But like others, I finally made it and don't want to go back. I really like the extra punch you get out of the bass notes and find the hand position to be more natural.

I ordered essentially one of everything I found from one of the online vendors, which represented a total investment on the order of $12.

After lots of experimenting, I settled in on the National Tortoiseshell as my weapon of choice.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 09-06-2017, 06:55 PM

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I ordered an assortment of the Kelly speed picks to give them a try. I also downloaded the garageband app and used that to record - its definitely an upgrade from the iphone sound recorder, but the conclusion was the same - not really getting enough out of my bass thumbpicking, so I think a thumbpick will help. Just to be clear - I have no intention of recording - I really just wanted to get a better idea of what I sound like (needless to say, I sound worse than I thought!! Haha!).
Old 09-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I ordered an assortment of the Kelly speed picks to give them a try. I also downloaded the garageband app and used that to record - its definitely an upgrade from the iphone sound recorder, but the conclusion was the same - not really getting enough out of my bass thumbpicking, so I think a thumbpick will help. Just to be clear - I have no intention of recording - I really just wanted to get a better idea of what I sound like (needless to say, I sound worse than I thought!! Haha!).

The speed pick is the best for me. I make less mistakes with it.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use one occasionally. Just a medium Dunlop, which I rounded the tip a bit with a file. I bought a couple of Tommy E lessons on TrueFire (fingerstyle essentials) that helped.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-06-2017, 09:48 PM

If you think you might like to finger pick in the verses and strum in the chorus, I like the Herco picks for this. It can be held steady between your thumb and index finger like a normal flat pick ,for good strumming. You could also trim them so they don't stick down so much for finger picking style.

I've also been trying the ProPik. similar shape as the Herco, but you can rotate the pick to fit the angle of your hand to the strings. It's pivot is stiff enough no to move if you don't want it to.

The BumbleBee thumb pick is the smallest and it may be the best gateway pick for you, as you won't have to change your thumb stroke as much as the others. It is also rotateable.

I have never tried the speed pick, but I may have to, after all the praises here.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 09-06-2017, 10:38 PM

+1 for the Fred Kelly Bumblebee. Teardrop Medium. Best of both worlds ... seamlessly segue between finger style and flat picking.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion