The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Default Considering switch to thumbpick - looking for advice

Hi Everyone,

I like to play both fingerstyle and strumming. I'm an intermediate player, play for myself (or a few friends - I've never played in public nor do I intend to), but recently I recorded myself (with my iphone - not the best quality, but there it is) playing a fingerstyle song (Poems Prayers and Promises) and was surprised by how little the bass came through in my travis picking (or perhaps alternatively, how the treble overwhelmed the bass). I don't use any fingerpicks - and don't have long fingernails. Anyway, I started thinking about ways to highlight the bass a bit more. One way would be to either emphasize my bass or deemphasize my treble with just changes in the plucking. However I was wondering if I should try a thumbpick as a way of giving the bass a bit more clarity or emphasis. I've never used one, so looking for anybody's suggestions on how to learn to use one; how easy is it to go from never using one to now using one (in other words, I didn't learn travis picking or finger picking using a thumbpick); etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:50 AM

Your hand position will be different when using a thumbpick and will take quite some time to get used to.

My suggestion .... get a competent nail tech to apply acrylic to your thumbnail, and lengthen it slightly. You will notice a startling difference in the bass response.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:51 AM

Usually Travis picking mutes the bass with the palm of the hand. If that is what you are doing you need a pick. Different people like different picks but I use a Fred Kelly Speed Pick. White for Travis picking and orange for fingerstyle (no muting). I have long nails and find the orange balances the tone and volume of my nails. If youre Travis picking then I dont think it much matters what pick you use as its all thud thud thud. Still I find the larger, traditional picks are more clumsy and in that way are a bit harder to use.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Usually Travis picking mutes the bass with the palm of the hand. If that is what you are doing you need a pick. Different people like different picks but I use a Fred Kelly Speed Pick. White for Travis picking and orange for fingerstyle (no muting). I have long nails and find the orange balances the tone and volume of my nails. If youre Travis picking then I dont think it much matters what pick you use as its all thud thud thud. Still I find the larger, traditional picks are more clumsy and in that way are a bit harder to use.
Thanks for the advice. When I refer to travis picking, I'm really referring to alternating bass with my thumb (perhaps I'm using the term wrong), and not so much the muted thud thud style I've seen some people use. So to be clear, I don't (intentionally) try to mute the bass with my palm (well, generally I don't although there are certain songs that I do use that technique). I'll look into the Fred Kelly.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevied63 View Post
...playing a fingerstyle song (Poems Prayers and Promises)...
A very nice song, and a good choice for a solid, alternating bass.

Quote:
...I was wondering if I should try a thumbpick as a way of giving the bass a bit more clarity or emphasis...
Most definitely. A thumbpick will accomplish exactly that. And here's another vote for the Fred Kelly Speed Pick. Doyle Dykes introduced me to these beauties several years ago, and they are my favorite. They are available for left or right hands, regular or large size, and come in light, medium, or heavy gauge. (I happen to prefer a light gauge pick).

You will hold your hand a bit more relaxed when using a thumbpick, as the pick extends out the back side, not the end, of your thumb. Also, by pinching the thumbpick against your thumb using your forefinger you have instant access to a flatpick, and can switch back and forth between flatpicking/strumming and and fingerpicking seamlessly.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

A thumb pick will put your hand in a much better position, not so much of a 'claw' shape, and your thumb will extend ahead of your fingers where it should be. The pick you use is a matter for you to decide on - I bought a number of different kinds before settling on the Jim Dunlop 'Heavies' Calico - great pick, smooth, plenty of bass projection. But, as with strings, only you can decide on the one that suits you best.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 09-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I like to play both fingerstyle and strumming. I'm an intermediate player, play for myself (or a few friends - I've never played in public nor do I intend to), but recently I recorded myself (with my iphone - not the best quality, but there it is) playing a fingerstyle song (Poems Prayers and Promises) and was surprised by how little the bass came through in my travis picking (or perhaps alternatively, how the treble overwhelmed the bass). I don't use any fingerpicks - and don't have long fingernails. Anyway, I started thinking about ways to highlight the bass a bit more. One way would be to either emphasize my bass or deemphasize my treble with just changes in the plucking. However I was wondering if I should try a thumbpick as a way of giving the bass a bit more clarity or emphasis. I've never used one, so looking for anybody's suggestions on how to learn to use one; how easy is it to go from never using one to now using one (in other words, I didn't learn travis picking or finger picking using a thumbpick); etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mostly you need to record with a decent mic, save in a respectable format, and play back with good speakers. Seems to me that what you're recording is only giving you is "voice" quality. I'm guessing that you're missing the highs and lows.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Your phone recording may not be an accurate reproduction of your guitar's sound.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:43 AM

There was a thumb pick in the chip board case of my 1st guitar. I ignored it for a couple of years then tried it out and a light came on. That was 1969 and I've used only thumb picks since on both acoustics and electrics. I happen to like the bigger and thicker ones, but each to his own. Try out a variety of types.

These days I use the striped Golden Gate picks either GP-11 or GP-10 depending on what the shop has in stock. I think these are some kind of nitrocellulose, and they will wear away after a few months of daily use.They go for about $2 to $3 apiece. When I go into a shop and play one of their guitars without buying, I will always buy a couple of these picks on my way out.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:49 AM

I use a Fred Kelly Slick Pick, and then shape the shovel so that it barely sticks out past my thumb. That way I don't have to change my thumb position from when I am picking with bare flesh.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Grab the GarageBand app for your iPhone (it's free and incredibly useful) and try another recording. Your phone has a much better mic than you expect and there is a lot of editing and EQ capabilities in the app. You honestly could record a professional quality CD with GarageBand if you wanted (although you would probably need to upgrade your mic for that), it's that versatile. Almost everything on my SoundCloud page was recorded into my iPhone with GarageBand.

If you find you are having issues bonding with a standard thumbpick, shoot me an IM.

Good Luck!!
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-06-2017, 11:02 AM

I have putzed around with thumbpicks for decades but always end up walking away. I am sure it is the angle of my hand or something else I am not getting the hang of. I am also pretty convinced I will never stop doing whatever it is I am doing wrong. The picks that have got me the closest though are just some old Nationals which I filed down. They seem to work better probably because they allow me bring my hand closer to the strings. One of these days I have got to drop Mick a line and try his Goat Whiskey picks.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I found that the Fred Kelly Speed pick worked well for me when I was starting out with a thumb pick and I also used a Dunlop. My current fave is one of Mick's Goat Whiskey thumb picks - better tone and more control. Mick is really helpful so I would suggest that you follow up on his offer and pm him.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-06-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Grab the GarageBand app for your iPhone (it's free and incredibly useful) and try another recording. Your phone has a much better mic than you expect and there is a lot of editing and EQ capabilities in the app. You honestly could record a professional quality CD with GarageBand if you wanted (although you would probably need to upgrade your mic for that), it's that versatile. Almost everything on my SoundCloud page was recorded into my iPhone with GarageBand.

If you find you are having issues bonding with a standard thumbpick, shoot me an IM.

Good Luck!!
Thanks Mick - I will try the GarageBand app to see if that changes my perception of the bass response.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

I've dabbled in using a thumbpick and the only one that I've had success with is the Fred Kelly Bumblebee. Kind of a hybrid that rotates to provide flexibility to fit your thumb and strike pattern. Thumbpicks of any kind tho have a learning curve and require some patience and a good bit of practice.

Rob

http://fredkellypicks.com/product-category/bumble-bee/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion