The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I am well familiar with Bryan's website. I don't see that at any point he states that the clearance at the first fret is .002".
In the link I provided, Bryan writes:
After using the above technique, I still like to measure the open string. It's a larger gap and is easy to measure. I've adjusted the slot to change the open measurement .002" or so and seen almost no change in the "gap" but the overall result is better.
Quote:
You may well be referring to the technique of pressing the string down between the second and third fret, and sighting the gap at the first fret, but that is not what your earlier post referred to, where you said .

As I read it, "unfretted" means an open string, and "clearance" means the distance between the underside of the string and the top of the fret, which is always more than .002".
If the clearance is a function of nut slot depth, it certainly seems it could be less than 0.002", or even negative (not a good thing). What am I missing here?
Old 09-09-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just FTR, the Stewmac string action gauge might well be a useful adjunct to the kit of accessories which a player might accumulate, but has no value for a professional who needs to work to far finer tolerances than the Stewmac string action gauge can supply.
What do you usually use? A set of feeler gauges? Curious.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
What do you usually use? A set of feeler gauges? Curious.
Not feeler gauges, pin gauges ....pin gauges are much more sensitive than feeler gauges, although even feeler gauges give a more accurate reading than the Stewmac gauge is able to provide.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion