The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 10:52 AM

Default Getting rid of RIGHT HAND finger squeak???

I know I have a lot of work to do on my playing. Only since I've started playing acoustic in earnest have I begun to realize that there is a problem with string squeak that doesn't exist much on electric (we have other problems there). But in evaluating my playing more closely, when finger picking I tend to have way more squeak than I find acceptable.

I was wondering if any of you experienced finger pickers might provide some advice and wisdom as to how I might approach this problem? Also some left hand advice would be good too. TIA (sample below).

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Get off my lawn kid

This is something many of us had to deal with. First, if your skin is dried out you'll hear more. Washing your hands for a few minutes before playing helps. Some people keep a moist sponge nearby to dab their finger tips on prior to recording.

Aside from dry skin, its technique for both hands. The right hand is easier to fix, just prop the neck up (or drop it) until your right hand attack is more perpendicular with the strings. Some may say just angle your hand a bit, so do whatever is easier for you.

The left hand movement should be reviewed.. - Do I have to slide here or can I pick up? Can I play the sequence in a more efficient way with less movement? Try not to drag your fingers across the strings. Also, awareness of it and working at being quieter while playing definitely helps. It takes time though.

Coated strings may help also.

Moving the microphone farther from the guitar helps too,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-09-2017, 02:18 PM

Thanks Barry. I think the dryness is probably one factor. Both hands are relatively dry. My left hand callouses are hard and have grooves in them. Even when I try to pick up my left, even one or two winds will make noise is I'm not lifting vertically before moving at all. And yes, perhaps I need to change the attack angle. I must be scraping the stings a bit as I attack.

I appreciate your remarks. Thank you again.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-09-2017, 04:16 PM

If your right hand fingers make scraping noises on the strings, try filing your nails asymmetrically, like a ramp. Google it, there are lots of how tos. Basically you want the string to glide across your fingertip without encountering any corners or uneven edges which make noise.

Angle is a factor too once nails are groomed. Listen to your notes and make the noise go away.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 09-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
If your right hand fingers make scraping noises on the strings, try filing your nails asymmetrically, like a ramp. Google it, there are lots of how tos. Basically you want the string to glide across your fingertip without encountering any corners or uneven edges which make noise.

Angle is a factor too once nails are groomed. Listen to your notes and make the noise go away.
I had thought of that too. My index finger is the biggest culprit. It has the oddest shape and a little thinner than M or A. I've started using nail hardener a week or so ago, but maybe I'll need to go to acrylics just to have some mass to file. In the meantime I have an idea of where to begin intuitively. I've also been practicing a bit with finger picks to see if that helps, but finger picks still feel foreign to me even though I'm practicing with them more. I've never had issues with thumbpicks and they feel as natural as my bare thumb. Go figure.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

Some thoughts:

1) The angle at which a RH finger strokes/plucks the string can mitigate noise.

2) If you use nails, if the contact point is the "spot" there will be less noise. This is a place when the flesh and nail touch the string more or less equally and at the same time.

3) Coated or flatwound strings will mitigate noise, moreso with Elixir Polyweb, Elixir Nanoweb and D'Addario Flattops than with strings that are only treated such as Cleartone, SCGC Parabolic and Martin Lifespan.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This is something many of us had to deal with.

Aside from dry skin, its technique for both hands. The right hand is easier to fix, just prop the neck up (or drop it) until your right hand attack is more perpendicular with the strings. Some may say just angle your hand a bit, so do whatever is easier for you.
Plus one on that...changing the way you attack the string to get the nails perpendicular can make a big difference. It certainly helped me. But my hand physiotherapist explained that there can be a a hidden problem if you twist your hand at the wrist to achieve this. Bending the hand at the wrist stretches certain muscles (or tendons?) and may restrict the movement of your picking fingers as a result. So for me at least I need to get that perpendicular hit of the nails while keeping my wrist unbent.

Col

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion