The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Default Rotting wood on back of headstock?

The back of the headstock of my Worland received at the end of April looked like this.

And now it looks like this.

There was a small black spot that I hardly noticed originally, and not only has that one grown, but a new one appeared.

Has anyone else had similar things happen to their instruments before? Is this indeed rotting? I will definitely be letting my builder know about this.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:24 PM

I don't have the expertise to tell you what it is, although it does appear to be some sort of decay. I can tell you that I've never had that happen to any of my guitars -- not that I've had so darn many, but I've been playing for more than 40 years and I tend to hold onto guitars for a while -- decades, in most cases. I'm not sure I've seen it elsewhere either.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:27 PM

Get your guitar to a Tech and have it evaluated. If this problem in getting worse, you need to stop it ASAP!

Doesn't look like rot to me. More like it's being eaten.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:28 PM

It looks more like oil/lubricant leaking from the tuners.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
I'm going with this answer.

Tuner lube wicks under the finish and darkens the wood. I suspect the discoloration is surface only and the wood is not exactly "rotting". I also suspect short of major finish work, there is nothing you can do to fix the discoloration. To prevent getting worse or getting more, you might try removing the tuners, thoroughly cleaning the area with naphtha, and sealing the gap between the finish and wood with super glue. This is not a job for the incautious as super glue has a way of going everywhere. And it won't remove what has already occurred.

hunter
Old 09-09-2017, 01:54 PM

Where do you keep the guitar when you aren't playing? Vertical or horizontal? If horizontal, on its side or on its back?
Old 09-09-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
Tuner lube wicks under the finish and darkens the wood. I suspect the discoloration is surface only and the wood is not exactly "rotting". I also suspect short of major finish work, there is nothing you can do to fix the discoloration. To prevent getting worse or getting more, you might try removing the tuners, thoroughly cleaning the area with naphtha, and sealing the gap between the finish and wood with super glue. This is not a job for the incautious as super glue has a way of going everywhere. And it won't remove what has already occurred.
I'm more concerned with the structural integrity than discoloration, although I obviously don't want this spreading anymore than it already has. If it's not going to fall apart anytime soon, I'd probably send this to the luthier to have him fix it at no charge, as opposed to going to a local repairman and pay for the repair out of my pocket.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Where do you keep the guitar when you aren't playing? Vertical or horizontal? If horizontal, on its side or on its back?
When the guitar is in the case, the case lies on the wooden floor on its back.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:35 PM

Tuner lube.

It probably could have been prevented by the holes being sealed before the tuners were installed, but I don't know anyone who does that routinely. The tuners should have never experienced that amount of leakage to begin with.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:24 PM

Try these 2 things. Take a straight pin and gently probe the darken area. If it's soft or soggy feeling it's rot, though I think it's most likely a tuner lube or oil stain. You can also place a small piece of tissue paper or brown bag paper on the spot for a few hours. If it gets discolored or stained it'll confirm it's an oil like substance.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Try these 2 things. Take a straight pin and gently probe the darken area. If it's soft or soggy feeling it's rot, though I think it's most likely a tuner lube or oil stain. You can also place a small piece of tissue paper or brown bag paper on the spot for a few hours. If it gets discolored or stained it'll confirm it's an oil like substance.
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the first thing. The dark area is not any softer or soggier than the surrounding wood. So I don't think it's decay. I just put some tissue on the area, and will check later tonight.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Tried the first thing. The dark area is not any softer or soggier than the surrounding wood. So I don't think it's decay. I just put some tissue on the area, and will check later tonight.
You most likely won't see any change as the strain or discoloration is UNDER the existing finish.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Tuner lube.

It probably could have been prevented by the holes being sealed before the tuners were installed, but I don't know anyone who does that routinely. The tuners should have never experienced that amount of leakage to begin with.
Correct. They're defective, and should be replaced. My reaction would be to replace the entire set, because of two of the tuners start leaking like that, it's not unlikely that the other tuners in the set will follow suit.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion